What did you do in the garden today?

I was outside before the sun was up yesterday. Watered front and back yards, gave a tree some super thrive, pulled all the weeds in the garden and the sunflowers too. Trimmed the bougainvillea because it's shading one of my potato bushes too much. Reassembled the compost pile, although the girls are already picking through it again, and turned the barrel on the composter. Moved a few bricks temporarily to keep chicks from getting through the fence into the dog yard.

I pulled the last of the pavers in the backyard. Good in one stack, ready for the trash in a pile. Will work on leveling in the mornings this week and maybe get the new pavers in on Wednesday morning. Friday I can haul out the bulk trash :wootit's really frustrating when your other half makes little piles all over instead of one big pile.

Once those are done I can prep the soil for the hibiscus and lantana. I've decided to plant another willow acacia out there. They don't provide heavy shade which is ok I have a Chilean mesquite for that. They do provide dappled shade and grow fast though.

Have a great day everyone :)

Trimmed the bougainvillea
Oh how I wish I could grow it here! When I was a child we spent holidays at the coast near Mombasa at a house that had a cascading bougainvillea hedge. It was in all the colors, pink, purple, salmon even some white and being small I discovered I could sit in a small 'cave' underneath the hedge and look out at the sea beyond through the flowers. Needless to say, I was a very, very happy kid!

Oh how I wish I could grow it here! When I was a child we spent holidays at the coast near Mombasa at a house that had a cascading bougainvillea hedge. It was in all the colors, pink, purple, salmon even some white and being small I discovered I could sit in a small 'cave' underneath the hedge and look out at the sea beyond through the flowers. Needless to say, I was a very, very happy kid!

Thank you for that lovely word picture. I could see it in my mind. You were so very blessed to have that memory.

Weeded the garden and pickled the weeds. Pickled purslane. Good stuff.
20180722_134245.jpg

Thank you for that lovely word picture. I could see it in my mind. You were so very blessed to have that memory.
Yes, I can honestly say that I would not have traded my childhood for anything! I have nothing but beautiful memories of growing up until the ripe old age of 13 when I was sent to England to boarding school and my world came crashing down around my ears! Talk about culture shock, going from my wild and adventurous Africa to a scratchy, wool school uniform in gloomy old England!

Thanks from me, as well--lovely! I have great memories of the bougainvillea all over the hillside of of my in-laws' house in Trinidad. So beautiful, and you made me remember it again. Thanks!

Pickled purslane--interesting! I'm going to plant some more in the greens bed if it ever stops raining. Can't wait to hear how you do it!

Back
Top Bottom