What did you do in the garden today?

Well, a critter or critters have decided to start chewing up cantaloups in the garden. My chickens get what's left of those, so I guess it works out ok. Lol!
I lost a whole bunch of broccoli plants to a wood chuck yesterday :mad: set a live trap but am keeping a lookout with the pellet rifle also.

Thanks--I'll try it this fall! (the pickled purslane). I've only ever eaten it raw or quick stir-fried.

Those zucchino rampicante squash I was so looking forward to? Rotted, because of all the rain, I guess. Man...

Dunnmom, I can't tell for sure, but might be a little big for a cooper's. Do you have sharp-shinned hawks around you? I heard a red-tailed one this morning, so the littles are locked in the run and the bigs just have to hop in the clean out door to lay. A little grumbling, but I'm not worried about a hawk trying for one of them.

Check it--no rain overnight and today is looking sunny! I would truly love to get rid of the backyard swamp. Can't remember if I told you this, but I put a load of stall pellets and shavings into the muddy part of the run and the chickens treated it like lava--scary stuff! I guess that's where the meaning of 'you're chicken' comes from. :)

Weeded the garden and pickled the weeds. Pickled purslane. Good stuff.
View attachment 1495438
So, now I know what those covers are. We have here such covers for cans were sold only once, and russian covers on such cans do not fit. I have two or three similar cans, but I can not close them, because the covers are different ))

Oh how I wish I could grow it here! When I was a child we spent holidays at the coast near Mombasa at a house that had a cascading bougainvillea hedge. It was in all the colors, pink, purple, salmon even some white and being small I discovered I could sit in a small 'cave' underneath the hedge and look out at the sea beyond through the flowers. Needless to say, I was a very, very happy kid!

What a lovely memory. Thank you so much for sharing. I do like it in full bloom, although the mess afterward isn't great. Worth it though.

So, now I know what those covers are. We have here such covers for cans were sold only once, and russian covers on such cans do not fit. I have two or three similar cans, but I can not close them, because the covers are different ))
Yes they are supposed to be once use, lol.
They are actually Classico tomato sauce jars, Atlas jars. I work at a Kraft/Heinz Foods dairy plant and we can buy pretty much whatever the company sells at cost, super cheap on 'food orders' every few months. I've bought many cases of them and saved the jars originally thinking I could use them for canning, but everything I've read says you can't, I'm really not convinced on this cause they seem to be just as heavy duty as Ball canning jars, and the Ball rings and lids fit on them also. IDK?
I figure they'll be just fine for cold packing cucumber pickles and such anyway. I actually just reused the original lids that came on them, they have a good amount of rubber seal, more than Ball canning lids, and they did seal just pouring boiling hot brine into them. Still refrigerated anyway.

Back
Top Bottom