What did you do in the garden today?

We have a cuckoo marans. Marans are a slow developing breed to my knowledge. It took a long time, over 6 months, to get an egg from her. She also didn't reach full size until well after some others like our Gold Laced Wyandotte and Speckled Sussex.
I think you and I were talking about Marans a while back! We adopted a cuckoo and blue-copper in February. And now that you mention it, they ARE pretty slow in some respects -- I can tell with their motor-skills too. I am pretty sure I have a male and female. We'll see...

What. A. Day.
I went to a friend’s to learn how to process rabbits and came home with two does that I was NOT ready for! Haha!

so, a few hours later I had all the food and gizmos and built the hutch.

as for plants gardening, I did divide the quince and get it potted for the year. I’ll find some ground for it when it goes dormant this winter.

the last few days have been a flurry of seed starts and in ground planting (spinach and mustard). I’m ready for a day off! I haven’t even had time to check forums! Tomorrow I think I’ll just get potatoes in and call it good.

I hope you’re all well and healthy 💜💜

[
I'd love photos 😍🤩

Unfortunately, I wanted to take pics of the chicks playing, but my resident young teen took my phone to video chat with a friend, so I was out of luck!! And they were being super cute too. Stretching their necks or standing on “tip-toe” to reach the big girl feed, flying up on roosts, back down to play fight/chest bump another chick, in and out/up and down the stairs, chasing each other until distracted by something else.

I’ll post pics of them at 6 weeks, that we took a few days ago inside the barn.

Good morning gardeners. Hope you all are well. So yesterday was a drying out day. Hopefully the ground is less soggy today so I can get more dirt transported to the back garden. It's 45F now with temps forecasted into the low 60's. Yay. From the seeds I planted just a few days ago: the zinnias are sprouting. Very cool. Nearly all of my vegetable starts have secondary leaves, but I'm concerned they are still growing a bit slowly. That is except for the nasturtiums. Hopefully these next few warm days will encourage more growth. Thanks for the idea of planting the dahlia tubers in pots @pinknblackchaos. This is my first year with digging up the dahlia tubers so I'm hoping they made it through the winter. It's still too cold to plant outside, but I have pots to accommodate them. I am so grateful for online shopping especially now since I can't just randomly go out to shop. I need a few more large containers for some of my plants and some other odds and ends. My new birdbath should be here tomorrow. My goal is make the backyard a sort of quiet sanctuary with herbs and flowers and of course chickens. Have a great day everyone and stay healthy.

@TropicalBabies - here are the chicks! All were sexed Female (except the RD sold as straight run), and we think everyone (but the RD) is female. If anyone thinks we have any males, let me know.

We asked for grey EE, and they are turning out unusually similar! Less cheek muffs than is typical for this hatchery.
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.25.11 AM.png

RD are sold straight run. They only had 3 hatch that week, and only this one survived for pickup! Well, they do taste really good - lots of dark meat. But maybe we will keep instead.
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.19.55 AM.png

Our first BO, and they are inquisitive and adventuresome so far.
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.17.40 AM.png

Two of these girls are hefty!!
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.15.44 AM.png

Very active as little chicks. Have gotten slightly more cautious as they've aged, but they are fast and remain inquisitive.
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.13.48 AM.png

I had a great Wels. She was very cautious as well. I love my ameraucana blue EE. Sweet things. My BO is a dork. She shares a brain with her farm store tub mate who is a RedStar. There are some days neither one has the brain. I don't know where it is, maybe they rent it out and forget who has the keys.

Lemon tree in lemon pot with the little cabbage plant isn't. I think it's a millet plant. No one here will fess up to having put a millet seed in the pot. Explains why it grows inches every couple of days. It's GRASS! Now I have to mow the kitchen???

I want to work out in the shed, but idiot neighbor is smoking out the hill top with a barrel burn. He couldn't do it on a cold day that no one wants to be outside, No. He couldn't do it when the wind ISN"T blowing towards all the houses, but instead on the empty park below. No. Grrrr. If I work in it, I'll end up with a lay in the dark want to crawl in a hole sinus headache for 24 hours. Grumble.

OK back to mask making.

Have a great day all :)

Back
Top Bottom