What did you do in the garden today?

Come to the south Oregon coast, largely undiscovered by the masses, beautiful scenery, maybe 2 or 3 days a year in the 80's and a long growing season, especially if you have a greenhouse. We have a reputation for rain but from the middle of June through to the middle of September we get no rain to speak of.
That sounds so delicious!
At a minimum they keep the soil from running off in the rain and a lot of them bring in pollinators and left to it's own devices, nature heals a lot of wounds.
I'm glad, and she looks very well cared for.
I'm going to try making some dehydrator zucchini chips later today.
That is the way it always is here. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told, "I'm sorry, I was going to call you yesterday." Just the cost of doing business here, no contractor or handy person is ever on time, or date for that matter.

Not much going on in the garden the last few days, just watering and sitting on my ripening tomatoes like I think they're going to hatch. :) Only got a gallon of the borage compost tea concentrate this time, I think the lid wasn't on tight enough and too much of the water evaporated. I got a couple of those screw on lids now so I should get more from here on. Oh and I decided what the smell reminded me of. Fermenting pickles! After that I didn't mind it at all anymore. :) My tiny baby cucumber plants are coming along, I nearly buried them in rabbit poop so they should grow up big and strong. Or smelly. Or both. Just as long as I get my cukes for pickling.

Oh and a question, I have a lot of dill right now but no cukes, should I dry the heads for later? I don't have any freezer space right now but I do have a dehydrator. Anyone have experience with drying and using the dried dill? And should I just dry the flowers or the foliage as well? Thanks in advance.
I have used dried dill when I couldn’t get fresh. It worked fine! I missed the whole heads in the jar but I don’t think it affected the taste. The leaves are so delicate I think I’d hang them to dry rather than putting them in a dehydrator. I have accidentally let them dry :gig Try it both ways and let us know!

I am the storm coming this guy stole the contract I had called roof Dr but brother brought a contract for his business shafting the brother out of it...
You go get him! Just make sure I am not on the receiving end of your wrath. I don't roof anyway. I do wish I could share a Texas Double Whopper with you all. The Jalapenos instead of pickles really make the burger right.

Garden photos:

Here's our first watermelon!!!! 21.5 lbs!! It was nice and sweet!
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.02.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.02.58 PM.png

A luffa gourd flowering!
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.01.51 PM.png

And the winner for overgrown and large-leafed gourd goes to Birdhouse gourd!!! Its the one towards the left that is growing like crazy with large leaves. The one on the far right is a luffa gourd. There are 3 other varieties here....
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.02.06 PM.png

One of our homegrown musk melons! Perfect and tasty!
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.01.38 PM.png

Tomatoes ripening on the counter. We are getting some storms today-tomorrow, so I figured Id rather have them inside then splitting outside.
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 9.03.17 PM.png

Garden photos:

Here's our first watermelon!!!! 21.5 lbs!! It was nice and sweet!
View attachment 2290767View attachment 2290768

A luffa gourd flowering!
View attachment 2290769

And the winner for overgrown and large-leafed gourd goes to Birdhouse gourd!!! Its the one towards the left that is growing like crazy with large leaves. The one on the far right is a luffa gourd. There are 3 other varieties here....
View attachment 2290770

One of our homegrown musk melons! Perfect and tasty!
View attachment 2290771

Tomatoes ripening on the counter. We are getting some storms today-tomorrow, so I figured Id rather have them inside then splitting outside.
View attachment 2290772
The ckicken will hate you if you do not give them those melon seeds. Just saying be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom