What did you do in the garden today?

Not much going on here. Cooler temps, so fewer bugs - the cabbage looper has finally gone (I hope). Brussel sprouts and cabbages look ok, but not as big as I had hoped by now. Spinach is also slow to grow, but the mustard is quite happy. The peas (for eating) are growing well, but haven't flowered, so might not - first time for planting them for a fall harvest. I used the guide on the seed packet, so I planted in the fall window they recommended for my area, but not sure if I'll get any peas from them. I planted 4 types, so maybe I'll be surprised.

I put in Rye and winter peas into 3 beds as a winter cover crop. They are starting to grow.
Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 8.52.35 AM.png

We moved the meat chickens out to the separate pen. The heat lamp is inside an old dryer drum. They look warm! We have also added clear corrugated panels to most of the sides of the pen.

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 8.52.01 AM.png

Nothing to do with our garden but we got our first chicken egg yesterday! So excited. Now for the garden.......doing lots of cleanup. We have a big problem with weeds, have for years, so last year I bought black heavy landscape paper. worked fantastic!! Was not savable, so this year I went all out and bought super heavy duty paper. Burned holes in it for planting and planted. great purchase. Lasts for up to 5 years. The expansion on the garden is almost finished. Ordered 10 brocolli plants. I know it is late, but according to the "leaves" it will be a mild winter here, zone 8b.
Congratulations on your first egg! I remember how excited I was! Did you get a picture?

We won't be getting frost until probably the end of October, so I still have some stuff growing in the garden! We let our beans dry out on the plants, so I will harvest them and shell them at my leisure later on! We also need to dig our potatoes. Cucumbers are still growing and we are still getting a few Zucchini and I have more peppers to harvest...sweets and jalapenos!

I have some really nice pumpkins...I'm trying to decided the best way to put them up...cook & freeze or can? Would love any suggestions! I'm also going to post this on the canning thread!

I will also be harvesting the Sunflowers that I grew for my flock...just need to figure out when they are ready as we got them in a bit late...some of the flowers are huge...I will share pictures later!

Nothing to do with our garden but we got our first chicken egg yesterday! So excited.
First eggs are awesome! Congratulations!

Cloudy here today so a good day to garden. I moved more compost to the reset beds and harvested about 12 pounds of trimmed carrots. I'm going to look up preservation possibilities for carrots, I don't think we can eat this many before I start to lose some. Definitely going to pickle some.
Carrots.jpg

And DP harvested the last of her potatoes. Potato & leek soup for sure!
carrots & potatoes.jpg

I planted the Roja garlic and the golden shallots and labeled the rows. We just finished lunch and DP, bless her, made a huckleberry buckle with the frozen huckleberries. So we'll have that with some vanilla ice cream.

Morning All,

What is BES?
I wondered, too. My guess was black-eyed Susans. No idea whether that is correct. Means Best Evidence Synthesis in my trade, so that threw me off for a bit!

moved more compost to the reset beds and harvested about 12 pounds of trimmed carrots. I'm going to look up preservation possibilities for carrots, I don't think we can eat this many before I start to lose some. Definitely going to pickle some.
I had never considered the possibility of preserving carrots. In my climate, they keep best in the ground until wanted, so I just pull a few at a time. Let us know how they turn out!

We won't be getting frost until probably the end of October, so I still have some stuff growing in the garden! We let our beans dry out on the plants, so I will harvest them and shell them at my leisure later on! We also need to dig our potatoes. Cucumbers are still growing and we are still getting a few Zucchini and I have more peppers to harvest...sweets and jalapenos!

I have some really nice pumpkins...I'm trying to decided the best way to put them up...cook & freeze or can? Would love any suggestions! I'm also going to post this on the canning thread!

I will also be harvesting the Sunflowers that I grew for my flock...just need to figure out when they are ready as we got them in a bit late...some of the flowers are huge...I will share pictures later!
I like to cook and freeze in the amount I need for pies.

Back
Top Bottom