What did you do in the garden today?

Please excuse my hijacking your thread, but what breed are those speckled ones? šŸ˜
Yup, everyone who answered is correct. Those and and grey spotted one are all Swedish Flower Hens. DP hatched 8 from 8 fertile eggs she got from a breeder. We lost 2 due to my mistake and of the 6 that got to 8 weeks, 3 were cockerels that started crowing at 8 weeks. We can't have roosters here so we got them a few weeks bigger then freezer camped them. They were delicious. They've been laying small light brown eggs up until the last week. I can't recommend them for layers (only 150 eggs per year) but they are very pretty, and the woman who breeds them has ones that are darker colored and still speckled.
I am going to guess Swedish Flower, not that I know what they look like but I like taking wild guesses. I do not even believe the threat starter/OP is even active and everyone on here keeps birds (I assume) so I doubt anyone is going to object to you asking what breed that is. I don't even consider it a thread hijack myself. I can't really speak for others even I though I sorta just did.
It's never objectionable to ask about someone's birds, we love them and love to talk about them. :)
@NewBoots care to share the buffalo rub mix? I might just do a rack of ribs this week, it sounds good! The littles did venture out pretty quickly. They found their way back in too so that's good. I just left them dust bathing & zooming around outside, I guess they are feeling a little more at home today.
Sure, I can't say enough good about it, it was part of 5 different dry rubs on 5 of the Best Dry Rub Recipes for Chicken Joyful Healthy Eats

Buffalo Spice Rub

1 T garlic powder
1 T smoked paprika
1 T cumin
1/2 T brown sugar
1/2 T ground dry mustard
1/2 T chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix in a small bowl and store in an empty spice bottle that has a lid and a shaker top.
www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/5-best-dry-rub-recipes-for-chicken/

Like I said, I love this stuff, I use it for all roasted meats and it adds some nice color too. I don't put it on DP's portion since she hates any spicy but it's so mild I really don't think she would object to it. But then I'd have to share...grrrrrrrrrrr.

Good afternoon gardeners. The weather folks said rain but the chances were slim and we got none. It was pretty windy outside though and the breeze made it chilly. Iā€™m glad I watered over the weekend. I had hubs cut a hole in the middle of a bucket lid to put over the five gallon we catch the a/c condensation in. It makes a puddle on the patio otherwise and I didnā€™t want the chickens drinking that, nasty! The pigeons come in and try to now that there are no waterers out so the lid will keep them out of it. A few have died in there, not a fun task to clean it out. I need 8 or 9 more bags of soil to add to the garden so Iā€™m going to borrow my daughters vehicle over the weekend to help haul it home. Hoped thatā€™ll be the last of it and then we can plant our Fall garden. Thereā€™s an old pole in there set in concrete that we havenā€™t been able to get out so I think Iā€™ll cover some HWC with weed barrier and make a planter for seasonal flowers around it. Making potato soup, time to stir the bacon and onion. Have a great night all.

No those rocks seem to just make it harder to pull weeds lol.
sounds like a nice view, enjoy it while you can!
Yes Ma'am- one of my favorite places is to sit in the yard where I can look one way and see plants and flowers and look the other way and see chickens.

Attachments

• Back yard 5.20.jpg
    Back yard 5.20.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Bird bath 5.2018.jpg
    Bird bath 5.2018.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Chickens and roses 4.2018.png
    Chickens and roses 4.2018.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • Hydrangea 5. 2020.jpg
    Hydrangea 5. 2020.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Lantana 10.20.jpg
    Lantana 10.20.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Rose of sharon 5.20 b.jpg
    Rose of sharon 5.20 b.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 10
  • roses in yard f 4.20.jpg
    roses in yard f 4.20.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 8
Yup, everyone who answered is correct. Those and and grey spotted one are all Swedish Flower Hens. DP hatched 8 from 8 fertile eggs she got from a breeder. We lost 2 due to my mistake and of the 6 that got to 8 weeks, 3 were cockerels that started crowing at 8 weeks. We can't have roosters here so we got them a few weeks bigger then freezer camped them. They were delicious. They've been laying small light brown eggs up until the last week. I can't recommend them for layers (only 150 eggs per year) but they are very pretty, and the woman who breeds them has ones that are darker colored and still speckled.
It's never objectionable to ask about someone's birds, we love them and love to talk about them. :)

Sure, I can't say enough good about it, it was part of 5 different dry rubs on 5 of the Best Dry Rub Recipes for Chicken Joyful Healthy Eats

Buffalo Spice Rub

1 T garlic powder
1 T smoked paprika
1 T cumin
1/2 T brown sugar
1/2 T ground dry mustard
1/2 T chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix in a small bowl and store in an empty spice bottle that has a lid and a shaker top.
www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/5-best-dry-rub-recipes-for-chicken/

Like I said, I love this stuff, I use it for all roasted meats and it adds some nice color too. I don't put it on DP's portion since she hates any spicy but it's so mild I really don't think she would object to it. But then I'd have to share...grrrrrrrrrrr.
BTW, that mix is awesome sprinkled on sweet potato fries. JUUUUST sayin'

I think itā€™s funny that others are as focused on getting the leaves in the garden and coop this week as I am. Iā€™m planning on using a shop vac as a leaf blower. I think today is the day for it because weā€™re expecting more rain this week. They arenā€™t calling for snow despite the temperatures being in the twenties. :confused:

Morning all. Nothing happening here today! Supposed to get a little snow & into the 20s on Friday. A little worried about the littles, they haven't experienced anything much under 40 yet & had a heat plate as of less than a week ago. & I have to get them on the nipple waterers quicker than I had planned I guess. Should be fun seeing they're still petrified of me. Time to grow up quick littles!

Have a good one all. šŸ™ƒ

Good morning all. The rain has stopped but it's still pretty wet outside. Planning on moving more dirt after lunch and hopefully finish off tomorrow. I had some early errands to take care of but trying to focus on moving that pile before Friday. Right now they are saying only an inch or more of snow, however, with all the humidity in the atmosphere right now it could easily be more. Next week looks dry with seasonable temperatures so a great time to blow the leaves back into the woods, (they are my woods after all). Have a great day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom