What did you do in the garden today?

I am pretty dern good at pineapple propagation and the method you are using I do not believe will end in good results. I usually start peeling the lower leaves off until I see root nodules and once I have 10-20 of those exposed I plant it.

Top watering the inner nodal leaf roots is the most effective in its first 2 months until roots actually develop then and only then can you water the soil and expect the roots to take up the water. Hey maybe you are lucky I will look for a youtube video for the method I use with 100% success. Been at it for about 5 years and the bunnies always thank me for my time and effort. Some day I will beat them to my fruit. 18-24 months until harvest via this method.
I might have a another pineapple tomorrow and do both methods.

here is a video showing the method I used.

I might have a another pineapple tomorrow and do both methods.

here is a video showing the method I used.
She is right 100% of the leaves you start with are all useless and will not grow. It is the new growth that powers the plant. They are good only for funneling moisture to the remaining internodal roots. I still see root rot as an issue doing it that way. Both ways are probably viable I just use fewer steps and pot it on the same day I prep it.

I cut back leaves on all cuttings I do, Not for the reason she states but because too much leaf material and very little root material will stress out a plant especially if it receives a lot of light. I am shading all areas cuttings are put. I was concerned about root rot when looking at the way she did it also. I would love to have been able to fit it into the bubble cloner. I may cut out few larger holes or even just get another lid and start over with different sizes because I have close to 100 holes in it and I do not even have the space in the greenhouse for that many started plants unless I cut back on the amount of mother plants and tropical plants I have.

I cut back leaves on all cuttings I do, Not for the reason she states but because too much leaf material and very little root material will stress out a plant especially if it receives a lot of light. I am shading all areas cuttings are put. I was concerned about root rot when looking at the way she did it also. I would love to have been able to fit it into the bubble cloner. I may cut out few larger holes or even just get another lid and start over with different sizes because I have close to 100 holes in it and I do not even have the space in the greenhouse for that many started plants unless I cut back on the amount of mother plants and tropical plants I have.
Yes I do that as well as nobody stores our pineapples in full sun the entire journey north. It all gets hardened off and kept in full shade when I do my new starts until I feel a plant is ready to have its light increased. But from past experience you will not get any new growth from those old leaves. It will all spring up from the center of the plant. Once those new leaves get started then it is time to increase the sunlight. I am still trying to gump my way into a heat loving variety. Our summer temps caused this years starts to come up all thin and spindly and last years did not set fruit. The only hard and fast rule I have for them is do not expose them to temps under 45F. Oh and since you mentioned space you can keep em crowded but each individual planting needs about 12 inches of individual space for the 3x3x3 spread.

Last edited:
@igorsMistress that's so annoying about the duck eggs! I hope they show up all ok.

@NewBoots thats exactly how my compost looks, empty! So gratifying, right? But the 2nd bin is full & ready to start composting. I wish I had not just thrown the whole tomato plants on top, but my back was hurting so it happened & I knew I would regret it. :gig I tried to turn that pile with the forks on the tractor & just made a mess everywhere.

Ya'll make me so jealous, I want a greenhouse. :hit

Raining here today. I'm going to attempt to catch the babies & show them how to use the nipple waterer. 🤞

Have a great day everyone.

@igorsMistress that's so annoying about the duck eggs! I hope they show up all ok.

@NewBoots thats exactly how my compost looks, empty! So gratifying, right? But the 2nd bin is full & ready to start composting. I wish I had not just thrown the whole tomato plants on top, but my back was hurting so it happened & I knew I would regret it. :gig I tried to turn that pile with the forks on the tractor & just made a mess everywhere.

Ya'll make me so jealous, I want a greenhouse. :hit

Raining here today. I'm going to attempt to catch the babies & show them how to use the nipple waterer. 🤞

Have a great day everyone.
Thanks Sueby. I got a tracking number so at least I know they’re in Phoenix now.

Excellent, glad you can at least follow them now.

So I took out their regular waterer & grabbed each one & showed them the nipples with their beaks, the BR even got a couple sips. The littlest one screamed the ENTIRE time, her beak was wide open from screaming I couldn't even push it up on the nipples to show her. :gig Poor little thing.

Excellent, glad you can at least follow them now.

So I took out their regular waterer & grabbed each one & showed them the nipples with their beaks, the BR even got a couple sips. The littlest one screamed the ENTIRE time, her beak was wide open from screaming I couldn't even push it up on the nipples to show her. :gig Poor little thing.
I’ve never used the nipple waterers but I’ve read that once one gets it they kinda show the rest how it’s done.

Good morning gardeners. Rainy morning again. Forecasted to stop early afternoon. I hope so, so I can get more dirt moved. I may have some time tomorrow morning before the rain / snow starts up. All seems well with the plants I brought inside to overwinter. The toughest part is keeping them watered. I usually keep a pan of water on my pellet stove in the colder months, however, it isn't running all that much right now. So it's just a wee bit dryn in here. I may just put a humidifier in here and stop worrying about it. I'm hoping to can some apples today and make some bread. Have a great day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom