What did you do in the garden today?

Oh, how do you guys plant marigolds in the yard for the chickens? Fence them off until established? Or do you plant them elsewhere and then bring little snips of them for chicken snacks? I don't want to have them completely decimated, but heard they are a healthy snack. 🤷‍♀️

my chickens have never ever liked marigolds. I don't plant them in the chicken's run, just chop a few flowers and try to give them to the chickens.

@Wee Farmer Sarah omg you better post lots of pics, it all sounds so cute! It sounds like the kitchens I like to design in the Sims game.

I stirred up the top layer of 3 of the raised beds, planted all the lettuce and snap dragon starts I bought yesterday and scattered the organic slug bait around everything or I'd be looking at bare dirt by tomorrow. The soil is so rich now from all the bunny poop, it's loaded with earth worms. I'll go out in a bit and get the posts and snap-pea netting up then put out the seedlings to harden off, they're ready to plant otherwise. I'm going to talk to our handy man and see if he could mount me a garbage disposal outside to grind up the kitchen waste that goes into the compost bin. I'd like to grind it up and throw it all directly into the raised beds, some of it anyway.

More marigolds seeds planted.

looked through my pepper seeds and realized I’m out of one kind. I planted a few in cells, but wanted to plant more. Burpee does not sell this variety anymore. So, I went looking for a similar seed on their site. Everything was out of stock that I looked at! Wow!

Sunny but cold and moderately windy. Still loving the sunshine!
What variety of peppers are you looking for?

Holy cow did I get a lot done today!

Took a couple pics.
The garden, sad but not buried anymore!
IMG_20210307_110434540.jpg

The whole flock, together (sort of), finally. I caught them roosting on a branch together. & not much left of the snow piles! :celebrate
IMG_20210307_105129000.jpg

Oh, how do you guys plant marigolds in the yard for the chickens? Fence them off until established? Or do you plant them elsewhere and then bring little snips of them for chicken snacks? I don't want to have them completely decimated, but heard they are a healthy snack. 🤷‍♀️
We grow them elsewhere then toss them the flower heads either whole or torn up. Our really like them.

Back
Top Bottom