What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. The forecast is still for a cold, wet 2 to 4 inch snow Thursday night into Friday. If it stays above freezing I'm ok. But I do think I will cover the asparagus bed just in case. I've counted 8 little spears popping up now. I thinned the radishes and arugula yesterday. I think the lettuce is coming up, I'm hoping it's not some weed. My first planting of curly kale is coming up as well. It's just my first 8 foot row. I will be planting more later on. I did spread cut up onions on all three of those beds to deter the chipmunks from munching on the salad bar. Yesterday I tried out my new standing weed picker. It is amazing. No kneeling on the ground and very little bending over. I pulled about ten pounds of something related to dandelions yesterday. It pulls the plant up root and all. I'll be doing some more snipping today then plant some grass seed in the holes. My apple trees are getting their leaves now and the peach tree is getting ready to bloom. I'm hoping it holds off for at least three or four days. My purple azalea is also getting ready to bloom. I found a picture of my orange azalea from last year. That one takes a bit longer to bloom, but it is similar to the white azalea. I took a picture of my "motley garden crew" yesterday. Oh my, I really need to clean the fence this year. Since you were interested in the mini mower trimmer @NewBoots, I thought you might like to see the weed puller. It saves your back a lot of grief.

weed snipper.JPG
orange azalea.JPG
garden helpers.jpg

The other 3 hens were off looking for bugs.

Last edited:
It was plumbed into the main line and we had to shut off the water to the house
Glad he’s handy!! We need to update both bathrooms, one more than the other. However, we will need a plumber to come in to put in a few valves to separate the water supplies to each bathroom etc. our HWH is also quite old....

We dropped to 28 degrees early this morning, below freezing for 4 hours.
The greenhouse dropped to 29, below freezing for 2.5 hours.
As soon as the sun popped up the temperature rebound quickly. 32 outside now and 70 in the greenhouse. I had the horseradish on a lower shelf and a blanket over it, suspended on the shelf above. A couple leaves looked droopy, but it might have needed water too. So I watered it.
The thermometer I bought is useless. Bluetooth for 196 feet my butt. So no low temp alerts and I can't even see it on the app.
20 feet and my phone thinks it's out of range.
Also when the analog thermometers read 30 degrees, it read 24. Um. No.

So I'll get another security camera and train it on the analog thermometer and call it a day.

Tonight I'll test the frost blankets on the shelves and see what that buys me. If worse comes to worse, I can ALWAYS move stuff from the greenhouse into the workshop over cold nights and put them back in the morning. I just want to see how low is too low at the moment, as we'll be cold every night for a week.

Have a super duper day all.
Do you have room in there for a water tank? The water would heat in the sun and slowly release heat at night.

Edited: sorry, just saw this was already addressed.

Last edited:
I was keeping my seed packets in a large zip lock bag. I took the bag out a couple of weeks ago when I planted some spinach, corn, etc... Somehow, in the following days, the ENTIRE bag has disappeared.... :hit I have torn the house, barn, shop, and garage APART looking for that bag. I had at least 20 - 30 seed packets in the bag. I am heartsick. My fear is that someone thought it was trash and threw it away by accident.

:hit:hit:hit

We dropped to 28 degrees early this morning, below freezing for 4 hours.
The greenhouse dropped to 29, below freezing for 2.5 hours.
As soon as the sun popped up the temperature rebound quickly. 32 outside now and 70 in the greenhouse. I had the horseradish on a lower shelf and a blanket over it, suspended on the shelf above. A couple leaves looked droopy, but it might have needed water too. So I watered it.
The thermometer I bought is useless. Bluetooth for 196 feet my butt. So no low temp alerts and I can't even see it on the app.
20 feet and my phone thinks it's out of range.
Also when the analog thermometers read 30 degrees, it read 24. Um. No.

So I'll get another security camera and train it on the analog thermometer and call it a day.

Tonight I'll test the frost blankets on the shelves and see what that buys me. If worse comes to worse, I can ALWAYS move stuff from the greenhouse into the workshop over cold nights and put them back in the morning. I just want to see how low is too low at the moment, as we'll be cold every night for a week.

Have a super duper day all.
As long as the frost isn't setting on the leaves, being in a greenhouse.. but then again moisture. You'll probably be alright.. That's why they call it Bluetooth, if you depend on it. That is what you'll become.

Back
Top Bottom