What did you do in the garden today?

I was keeping my seed packets in a large zip lock bag. I took the bag out a couple of weeks ago when I planted some spinach, corn, etc... Somehow, in the following days, the ENTIRE bag has disappeared.... :hit I have torn the house, barn, shop, and garage APART looking for that bag. I had at least 20 - 30 seed packets in the bag. I am heartsick. My fear is that someone thought it was trash and threw it away by accident.

:hit:hit:hit
Have that same problem.. Things just disappear and I live alone.. and or maybe not.. a lot of times it's right there in front of your face.. How embarrassing.

I often wait until May 15 to plant tomatoes into the garden . They say May 1 is frost free but it is not . I watch the forecast and plant earlier some years . I start mine from seed but buy a 6 pack early and put in bigger pots for some earlier ripe tomatoes .
You must live a might south.. Our last frost date is generally Memorial Day in reality, and that ain't true. Because It'll sneak up on you... You start tomato 'seeds' in the garden? I'm interested.

Have that same problem.. Things just disappear and I live alone.. and or maybe not.. a lot of times it's right there in front of your face.. How embarrassing.
I've been trying to remember what was in the bag.... I know there were at least 3 - 4 packets of corn seeds. Some runner beans that I was going to plant after the corn gets a little bigger. Numerous packages of tomatoes, pumpkins, lettuce, and watermelon. Likely some flowers that are good companion plants - calendula, cosmos, nasturtiums, etc.

I actually went and bought some more flower (companion plant) seeds and some more herbs since I couldn't find the bag. But I just can't fathom what happened to it. I remember coming inside after a long day in the garden and setting it on our breakfast bar. I'm wondering if one of the kids maybe moved it and set it in a box. I had several empty boxes in the kitchen from plants being delivered. I'm wondering if they put it in one of those.... And then DH came and gathered up all the cardboard to burn it, not seeing the bag inside..... Or maybe thinking it was trash. I have no idea....

Somebody.png

I've been trying to remember what was in the bag.... I know there were at least 3 - 4 packets of corn seeds. Some runner beans that I was going to plant after the corn gets a little bigger. Numerous packages of tomatoes, pumpkins, lettuce, and watermelon. Likely some flowers that are good companion plants - calendula, cosmos, nasturtiums, etc.

I actually went and bought some more flower (companion plant) seeds and some more herbs since I couldn't find the bag. But I just can't fathom what happened to it. I remember coming inside after a long day in the garden and setting it on our breakfast bar. I'm wondering if one of the kids maybe moved it and set it in a box. I had several empty boxes in the kitchen from plants being delivered. I'm wondering if they put it in one of those.... And then DH came and gathered up all the cardboard to burn it, not seeing the bag inside..... Or maybe thinking it was trash. I have no idea....

View attachment 2616099
Awesome, that is what I do, Just buy more after searching the house top to bottom.. Getting to the point it is just cheaper to get more.. Knowing eventually they'll show up on cleaning day.. I'd mark one on the calendar, but haven't any that far in the future.

View attachment 2616099
Coming from experience in this I recommend righting down everything you know was in the bag now rather than later so you know what to replace.

You must live a might south.. Our last frost date is generally Memorial Day in reality, and that ain't true. Because It'll sneak up on you... You start tomato 'seeds' in the garden? I'm interested.
Not in the garden . In the house but I do not start my seed real early . I buy the 6 pack because they are bigger plants . It is a struggle to get the wife to tolerate what little I start inside . Big difference in size . 8 inches on big ones and 4 inches on little ones . By May 15 all will be bigger and the bigger one may be blooming . So I get larger plants cheaper this way . Instead of buying the really big and expensive one they sell at planting time .
DSCN1043.JPG
DSCN1045.JPG

I was keeping my seed packets in a large zip lock bag. I took the bag out a couple of weeks ago when I planted some spinach, corn, etc... Somehow, in the following days, the ENTIRE bag has disappeared.... :hit I have torn the house, barn, shop, and garage APART looking for that bag. I had at least 20 - 30 seed packets in the bag. I am heartsick. My fear is that someone thought it was trash and threw it away by accident.

:hit:hit:hit
If you're like me, you need to retrace ALL your steps and check all the weird places. Did you get a cold drink? Check the fridge - including the freezer and top of the fridge. Did you have anything on with pockets? Go check the pockets. Did you go take a shower? Check the entire bathroom. Did you get out clothes on the way to the shower? Check the dresser/wardrobe/closet shelves. Did you go plug in your phone? Check all surfaces between the door and that location.

Also check the railings, etc, you may have set it on on the way inside. And next to where you did planting outside. And the car. My stuff teleports into the car sometimes.

Maybe you already did that, but I have found some items in WEIRD places doing that method. Keys in the freezer, wallet on the shampoo shelf, etc etc.

Not in the garden . In the house but I do not start my seed real early . I buy the 6 pack because they are bigger plants . It is a struggle to get the wife to tolerate what little I start inside . Big difference in size . 8 inches on big ones and 4 inches on little ones . By May 15 all will be bigger and the bigger one may be blooming . So I get larger plants cheaper this way . Instead of buying the really big and expensive one they sell at planting time .View attachment 2616151
Thanks, was wondering. Have had volunteers come up in the garden, but never let them mature.. The stuff I get from the nursery always gets gangly.. Dig a trench and bury them up to the first leaf. Though I don't think they do that well.

If you're like me, you need to retrace ALL your steps and check all the weird places. Did you get a cold drink? Check the fridge - including the freezer and top of the fridge. Did you have anything on with pockets? Go check the pockets. Did you go take a shower? Check the entire bathroom. Did you get out clothes on the way to the shower? Check the dresser/wardrobe/closet shelves. Did you go plug in your phone? Check all surfaces between the door and that location.

Also check the railings, etc, you may have set it on on the way inside. And next to where you did planting outside. And the car. My stuff teleports into the car sometimes.

Maybe you already did that, but I have found some items in WEIRD places doing that method. Keys in the freezer, wallet on the shampoo shelf, etc etc.
haha.... I'm wondering if you have some pesky poltergeist or other paranormal creature in your house? I can't say I've ever found a wallet on the shampoo shelf. :gig

I DID, however, start retracing my steps in the first few days it was missing. In those few days, I still kept thinking it would turn up so I wasn't freaking out about it. "Freaking out" still seems a little harsh term to use, but I definitely don't WANT to have to replace all those packets. :( When it didn't turn up, I started a more thorough and invasive search. Doing what you suggested....opening drawers, closets, cars, trunks, everything. double and triple checking areas I've already looked. Still no seeds.

I found Dh's keys in the freezer once. Thankfully the fob still worked after being in there overnight. I had a bag of seed packages once, until the mice found them and went absolutely nuts tearing into every package.:he I chucked the whole bag and started my collection over fresh last year. They're now organized into one of those handy photo organizers.

I haven't gotten anything plant related done today yet, and probably won't. We're doing a rather intense purge of personal belongings (things we haven't touched in six months to two years) prior to the move and I got started a month and half early because of my limited energy reserves.

Nothing saps your daily strength like cleaning out old piles of paperwork left to accumulate too long! Or a box of expired vitamins etc. that you forgot you had.:barnie

What I have been doing in my down time is looking at and daydreaming about all the things I'll plant in a few years when we have our own land. In the meantime, practical planting will be done in pots. The part of Texas we're heading to is desert, so should present an interesting challenge even for potted plants.

Back
Top Bottom