What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning all. It was 39F when I got up this morning. Overnight tonight and tomorrow morning is forecasted to be 37F. Hopefully that's the last of it. All but my squash plants have made it through the cold mornings. I will likely be covering the cucumbers and tomatoes tonight. I only planted some parsley and mint seed yesterday. I worked on the new chicken yard fence and positioned some plant containers next to the gate outside the fence. One container has mint in it, the other large one had lavender in it but there were no signs of life in it when I moved it. I need to do a quick shopping trip this morning and will stop by the nursery and see if they have replacements plants. Congratulations on your new mini mower @NewBoots. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. I use Stabil fuel conditioner in my gasoline for the snow blower and the riding mower @gtaus. I hate going to the gas station to fill my gas can so I buy about 4 gallons at a time. That little bit lasts me a very long time. I have a little over 1/2 acre and about 1/4 of that is all wooded and the small, immediate backyard has to be mowed with a push mower. The rest of the property is open and sloped so still too much for an old woman and a push mower. Your squash starts could be succumbing to the cooler temps @Sueby. That's what mine started doing when our warm temps were replaced by overnight cold. This morning mine looked pretty much done. It's a bit frustrating.

Good morning every one. I was poofed when I was done with inventory last night at 430, but then then it dawned on me that Friday (today) the lawn was due to be mowed, but I won't be here (open shop day), and it's going to rain Sat Sun Monday morning, and then Wed-Thurs. By next Friday, I'd have to have a team of goats to get through it. So at 430 off I went on the riding mower. I finished just as the sun set.

Now the birds are chirping. The swallows are fighting over the loose chicken feathers in the yard. The dog is napping on the sofa. I'm getting ready to load and make a list of what I'm taking with me for sale. I managed all the plants, plus 2 dozen little girl's dresses, half a dozen gardening aprons, 5 loaves of braided bread and 2 dozen giant iced cookies.

Phew. I need to water the beans while I'm out there, but otherwise we're still a couple of weeks away from putting tomatoes in the ground.

Chilly and damp today. I don't know how much I'll get done. I've forgotten to look for any asparagus that may have come up. :he I'll pick any that are out there.

Two years ago, I added two more rows of asparagus. Last year, all the stalks were spindly, so I put a lot of used chicken bedding on the rows last fall/winter. We'll see if that helped. A friend get asparagus MUCH earlier than I do, and he lives only an hour south of me. He's had a few meals already.

Good morning every one. I was poofed when I was done with inventory last night at 430, but then then it dawned on me that Friday (today) the lawn was due to be mowed, but I won't be here (open shop day), and it's going to rain Sat Sun Monday morning, and then Wed-Thurs. By next Friday, I'd have to have a team of goats to get through it. So at 430 off I went on the riding mower. I finished just as the sun set.

Now the birds are chirping. The swallows are fighting over the loose chicken feathers in the yard. The dog is napping on the sofa. I'm getting ready to load and make a list of what I'm taking with me for sale. I managed all the plants, plus 2 dozen little girl's dresses, half a dozen gardening aprons, 5 loaves of braided bread and 2 dozen giant iced cookies.

Phew. I need to water the beans while I'm out there, but otherwise we're still a couple of weeks away from putting tomatoes in the ground.
Holy cow, no sleep? Dang I could never do that. You must not have close neighbors Be careful today and god luck with the sale.

Taters. I start mine in one of my hoop houses . They are outside now but under an arch in the garden where I have a young passion vine growing . There is garden fabric covering it at this time so the taters have some protection. I’ll uncover in a week or so then start move them into their spot in the in the outside garden . I use feed bags , makes them easy to move around and harvest.
A4F6CFD5-1C6B-4A75-A942-024192733EFE.jpeg

I use feed bags , makes them easy to move around and harvest.
I have a food bag sitting in the corner. I might just try that this year. I have a couple of questions... Are they planted in straw, or is that just mulch on top? Also, do you have holes in the bottom of the bag for drainage?

Hope you are feeling better soon. I'm in the middle of a bad cold...compliments of the resident kid that likes to drink my water since its always at hand :rolleyes:.

I have lilies that come up, and I'm not a huge fan of lillies. I'd give them all away to a lily lover, but haven't asked anyone yet, but keep meaning to, as many people love lilies. However, I'm not going to dig them up either, until I have a plan for their spots bc what's the point of digging up a nice flowering plant that stays in its area, looking flowery unless I have something better to put there?

Hostas: We have a few here, not many. They are fine, not a fav, but I do like them when they flower. @Sueby - my spouse is not a fan of hosta either. But, until we have to get rid of the ones we have, then we leave them where they are. But, they are totally out of the way. We had to remove a redbud tree that was planted in our front yard - totally the wrong space for it, so it came out..we reseeded a couple of years ago and the grass grew in great. But, now we have a perfect circle of a different shade of grass there. Luckily its not obvious from the road.

Same to you! I wish I could schedule my colds, like I know I'm gonna get sick so why not plan it for a more convenient time lol

The hosta person responded, gonna swing by tomorrow and grab them :) I'm not a huge fan either, but I saw that you could eat the shoots like asparagus and the leaves like spinach. It's hard to grow greens during the summer, so I'm hoping this might fill a gap.

Back
Top Bottom