What did you do in the garden today?

Chilly and damp today. I don't know how much I'll get done. I've forgotten to look for any asparagus that may have come up. :he I'll pick any that are out there.

Two years ago, I added two more rows of asparagus. Last year, all the stalks were spindly, so I put a lot of used chicken bedding on the rows last fall/winter. We'll see if that helped. A friend get asparagus MUCH earlier than I do, and he lives only an hour south of me. He's had a few meals already.

About 3 years ago, I planted some asparagus in a large planter....not realizing that they grow really deep roots and are best suited in the ground. Most died but I still have 2 of them hanging on. They put out tiny stalks every once in a while. I keep meaning to transfer them to a dedicated bed in the garden but I haven't gotten around to it. Just one of those things still on my To Do list....

I have a food bag sitting in the corner. I might just try that this year. I have a couple of questions... Are they planted in straw, or is that just mulch on top? Also, do you have holes in the bottom of the bag for drainage?
Yes holes in bottoms of bags. I roll the bags down and I use a good potting soil in bottom 10-12 inches to plant taters in then use some shavings and hay as they grow . I just keep rolling the sides of the bags up as the plants get taller and pack in more hay or shavings . You could use compost or any kind of mulch. When they are ready, dump the bags out, fold em up and reuse.
I love to re-purpose stuff and we accumulate quite a few of these bags . I also use the bags to kneel on when weeding, they’re light weight and tough and you can carry tools and gloves around in them. Good luck, I I really like growing this way.

@Wee Farmer Sarah I do wonder, but it hasn't been that cold here. It was 44 this am. That shouldn't be too cold for squash, should it?
I didn’t think so but it’s been colder than that here. I just picked up replacement plants and the woman at the nursery said absolutely wait to plant them outside. I will be covering the cucumbers and maybe the tomatoes. I picked up some pansies so the pots next to the chicken yard will have a little color now. Too cold to plant the zinnias right now. So frustrating.

Did some mowing and took a walk in the woods . No mushrooms . I did dig a clump of woodland phlox for Mom's grave for Mother's Day . Her favorite flower . Dad always picked her some . When he passed I promised her sweet Williams - woodland phlox for Mother's Day . Never broke a promise to mom . Since I had them in a bucket I put them next to the Hesperis for comparison . Hesperis a little over hip high and stems pencil size . Phlox less than knee high and thin stems . Sharing information .
DSCN1061.JPG

Mother’s Day Quiches on the agenda today. Spending moms day with mine tomorrow haven’t seen her in over a year. I cut my last cauliflower, picked some peas, kale and arugula, raided nesting boxes and made these. One for hubby and me and one for brunch with Mom. I’ll have lots of flowers for a big boquet for her too. Will he nice to see her.
31B8038B-40E7-452A-9882-7E88D0815D11.jpeg
164C7A5D-8755-4D44-85D2-BF4E62687EF5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom