What did you do in the garden today?

Chilly, but I got out and worked myself warm. I string trimmed around the garden, then raked up the cuttings for mulch. There's a slightly hilled area that DH doesn't mow that I try to trim, to keep ahead of the grass growing there. Now that will make some MULCH. Gotta get it cut before it sends up seed heads. Ditto for a couple other places that need the same treatment.

Does anyone else grow Egyptian Walking Onions, or Potato Onions? Here's a website on EWOs : https://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/

I'm out of regular onions from last fall, so my EWOs are my stopgap measure. The issue is that the bulb is small. So that's why last fall I planted Potato Onions, as I'd read the bulb grows bigger. But since I just planted them, they won't be picking size until next spring, I think.

Anyone have experience with these?

Good afternoon gardeners. Nothing in the garden today. I’ll have to water before work tomorrow, the wind and heat are taking their toll on things. I’m irritated with hubs so I’ll be outside after work tomorrow working on the shade garden by myself. Jerk. I took the cage from around the Arabian lilac as a test. The ducks spend the most time in the side yard with the heat coming on earlier in the day so it’s relatively safe from them and I’m really not sure if they’ll eat it or not. I WILL be keeping a close eye on it though. Once it’s tall enough they can’t eat the whole thing we’ll be in good shape. So far the newest oleander is holding it’s own and I’ve remembered to water them all once a week. Next weekend they’ll get some blue juice, that soil out there is pretty terrible. I considered some straw mulch as well, but the wind would likely blow it all over so probably not worth the effort. His highness is home, have a good night all.

I don't have a dishwasher, sooo wish I did! Hoping to redo the kitchen next spring & put one in to save on water. My kitchen is small so giving up the cabinet space will be tough. It's just DH & I so I plan on an apartment sized one.

As for machinery, DH handles all that - he puts shut off valves in the fuel lines before the carbs & cuts off fuel to shut it off so there is no fuel sitting in the carb to gum up. At the season change everything gets run completely dry, nothing ever sits with fuel in the tank for the off season.

I didn't get anything done in the garden yesterday & won't today either. After cleaning the coops & rearranging all the feeders & waterers because of the littles move, my allergies were so bad I had to call it a day. I have rashes on my face & my eyes, everything is so swollen. I was going to go to the doc if I didn't look better this am, but it's starting to settle. This is why I try to do as much as I can in the garden early, I can't handle the pollen. Fun fun. :he
I feel your pain Sueby, I have a pretty severe allergy to oak pollen and our trees are loaded. I tried gardening with a mask and it worked really well . also I wear sunglasses that cover my eyes well. Maybe it would work for you too.

I feel your pain Sueby, I have a pretty severe allergy to oak pollen and our trees are loaded. I tried gardening with a mask and it worked really well . also I wear sunglasses that cover my eyes well. Maybe it would work for you too.
X 2 on the mask, especially when cleaning the coop or windy days.

First is the mint plot been there since we moved here.
rest is plants to go in the garden.. We did get the tires and pots filled, the pots on bricks had snails under so snail killer used.. So been one hell of a busy day.
Benedryl on board to help with pollin allergy outside .. took like 8 photos.. Last I lost my very oldest EE she was a very nice birdI had no idea I would loose her.
My swiss chard has wintered over very nicley rather surprised by how much. So did a lettuce in the wading pool. I still have 3 boxes 100 each of cloth masks as wore them at work forever.
001.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg

005.jpg
006.jpg

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Great pics @penny1960, watch that mint, you know it can be crazy invasive right? We planted some in a sunken bathtub in the yard of our old place, it climbed over the rim of the tub and tried to escape into the yard. I have a huge pot of it (love the stuff) in front of the run. I started clear spots in the beds for tomatoes, peppers, and okra (yeah I'm a dreamer) and the rabbits made out like bandits. So did the chickens for that matter. I spent far too much of the day baby sitting the littles, they got their first trip to the great outdoors. The hens that saw them were horrified. So much to do and only so much energy, but then again I am retired, what gets done gets done.

Back
Top Bottom