What did you do in the garden today?

Y
The only reason she had people stopping by today and yesterday was I listed the open shop on craigslist. She didn't put her normal signs out on the highway to get people to turn down the dirt road. Without them, no one knows shes there.

DH doesn't like random people on the acreage. I get that.

Neighbors will snatch them up, and co-workers. It's just getting the word out.
Same about randoms here! I have an outreach program where I get plants to people . I schedule a date to meet at a nursery I go to for folks to pick them up. I don’t sell them so I feel comfortable doing this at a nursery. But I get to go and gawk at plants !

Got the new weed eater out and rimmed the stuff growing around the bases of the raised beds. Love that thing, cordless it awesome! Mowing is done too and I let the ladies out for a couple hours once the mowing was done. They were such good girls, came when they were called and everyone laid except for Glyness. I think the eggs have been even better since they've been allowed out, the yolks are enormous and the feed sure goes further.

The compost tea has been working great, as soon as the seedlings get a shot of it they get a growth spurt.

Do your Toms have a lot of real leaves? And will your temps stay around at least 50 degrees? If so they shud be good to go. Got to harden them off if they’ve been inside out of the elements.
sounds like you had a good busy day and sounds Iike Hubs needs some coaching. Mine learns pretty fast that carelessness in the garden will cost him. Hope your sprouts are ok. They can be tender when young and damage easily . Fingers crossed!
Yes! So tender! When moving them if I bump one it breaks 🥺. Surprisingly they have quite a few real leaves even though they are only about three inches tall.

Okay not much ado this is the garden just now
002.jpg
003.jpg
009.jpg

Finally RAINING. Not threatening to rain, not cloudy, not spitting, not just 'as seen from afar', but real live pitter, patter, dark skies water falling from the skies. No howling winds, no wicked hail or thunder, just plain, glorious water from the sky.

Maybe the greenbeans will pop up now? LOL. Maybe they're too good for hose water.

I might chuck the corn and sunflowers in the ground between rains this week too with some root hormone.

Oh, must remember to buy bone meal in town.

I was going to do the marketing today, but I might have a large table to pick up from the city tomorrow, so I will do it then. I have my part of the lower level to sort out since the etsy shop is closing so I will re-arrange to make it a full time sewing area where I can stand upright and cut and design patterns. Right now, that happens all on my machine table, which means moving off the machine for larger pieces.

Have a wonderful day all.

A Busy, Busy week coming up.

My Kid in the military is coming home!!! It has been 20 months since I have seen my kid in person....due to Covid :mad: So, a mad dash to finish cleaning out the catch-all room to make it a bedroom. Hopefully paint the room too.

Mother Nature has finished her slow crawl towards spring and it looks like good weather now. Starts had their FIRST night outside on the deck as the winds were low and temps warm enough to not stunt the starts. They've been spending the days outside (when possible) over the past 6 weeks - with a few cold and windy days they had to stay indoors, so I am hoping they are hardened enough. They need to go into the beds this week.

The gourds were really badly affected by the aphids. We lost several. <sigh> at least I will know what to check for next year when I start gourds.

Robins, Robins, Robins...everywhere!

Fledgeling that was in one of our small trees, but I think was raised in neighbors tree.
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 10.17.01 AM.png

Nest on north side of house...the four eggs have been in there for 1 week, but first egg was laid about 12 days ago.
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 10.17.10 AM.png

The nest on the deck light: First egg laid on Friday or early Saturday. So, I'll have to check to see if any more eggs laid, but guessing they will lay up to 3 or 4 eggs this week, and begin to incubate, so they will be 7-10 days behind the family on the north side of the house.
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 10.16.51 AM.png

Good morning gardeners. I agree @Acre4Me. Spring has finally arrived, thank goodness. And congratulations on your DD's visit. I know you have missed her. Yesterday it got close to 80F here. Fortunately there was a breeze so mowing the backyard yard was not brutal. The girls had their first day of "free ranging" in their new chicken yard so I could finish the mowing. They were well behaved, two of them perched on a chair to watch me work on the other side of the fence. Too funny. This morning I got one of the Rosemary plants out in the herb garden, re-planted the lima beans and planted some more bush beans. DD is on her way home from the Cape now. Likely won't get here until at least noon. I'm hoping to finish the mowing in the front yard today and move some more plants out of the sunroom. Most of my "seedlings" spent the night outside. It was still fairly warm all night. But they look just fine this morning. We are not certain as to Ellie's heritage @AmeliaBedelia since she is a rescue dog. We believe she is a Rat Terrier / Jack Russell mix. She has the wonderful playful personality that is all terrier. DD considered doing a doggie DNA test, but I mentioned that it wouldn't change how much we both love her, so enjoy her just being Ellie. I'm still hoping my Cortland apple tree will come back to life, if not I have decided to replace it with a pink dogwood tree if I can keep it on the smaller side.

DD's visit
Nope, not a visit!!

she’ll be home for good bc enlistment ending. Starts “active” reserves this summer. So, living with mom and dad and sibling for now. Is enrolled for classes this fall. Will look for a job later this summer. I’m sure an adjustment to come live in our home bc she’s been in her own apartment for 2.5 years, off base. But, once established routine with a job, am guessing she’ll look for an apartment -we will see!

Back
Top Bottom