What did you do in the garden today?

All three of my cucumber vines now have flowers, and I've spotted some buds on my bell peppers as well. My Cherokee purple tomato doesn't seem to be doing well for some reason. Not sure what's up with that, I've never had problems with that variety before.

And my baby peach tree is really doing well! I had to protect it from my chickens with a medieval-style wooden stick fence so they wouldn't dig it up and so far that's working :p. Looking forward to peaches in a few years!

And I'm also waiting for the last of my cypress trees to die so I can finally plant some apple trees. There's a guy local-ish to me who rescues 'lost' heritage apples in this area and I would LOVE to get a couple trees from him.

My youngest son is graduating from high school so no work in the garden today. DH and I got the hoop house frame up yesterday but I'm still waiting on the netting I ordered for it. Really aggravated about it because I ordered it in March and it still isn't here! 🤬 A coon or dog or something crapped in the middle of my corn after knocking MORE of it down. Really need that netting up!

I don't know how much rain we had, but enough to dampen the soil a few inches deep. Time to plant potatoes! Except I did something to my back while I was digging the holes, so I had to stop. Hopefully tomorrow will be tater and onion planting day.

Tomorrow will also be the beginning of hardening off for all the green house starts. I have my extra large dog crate all set to go, and it'll be in the middle of the fenced in garden up by the green house, so not to far to carry them all. I have only 28-30 tomatoes. The ones that didn't come up with the first planting didn't come up with the second one, either. :hmm

I think I'll try direct seeding some of the short season (58-65 days) varieties in my "longer season" garden.

Spread Moss out the concrete in front great walk put in years ago nice patio but covered in moss
Moss does not grow under my feet never learned to sit long .. The dolly in the picture is close to 100 years old was the Sons Grandad that had it
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Talked to the landlady, she's actually excited by the idea of chickens and a garden. Her place is pretty well desert right now, so I'll definitely have my work cut out for me. Might be looking at a fall garden, just because of the heat, and I'm due end of August. Lol, try not to do too much at once.

Basil is doing great, strawberries are looking good. I'll pot up the strawberries when we get a sunny early afternoon one of these days. Been dreary for three. Garlic is getting huge!

This is a bit of an update for the whole weekend. Got the another tomato trellis done and about 30 plants in the grown. In the flower beds I got the dahlias and snap dragons planted. That just leaves some bulbs to be moved and the zinnias everything else will be direct seeded. I got a few more hills of winter squash finished and replanted some of the yellow crook. Also found a bunch more wild muscadines I think I’ll dig a few to fill in the empty spots where a few of the cuttings didn’t make it. Got some more weeding done but that is a daily chore here. Also watered everything because it’s been dry. And picked peas and strawberries a few times. Almost forgot to add I pulled my first two cloves of garlic I’ve never grown it before. I was surprised it was so big already since I only planted it in November.
777E981D-8AA2-4C48-AEBD-A06E9CA477F3.jpeg
519A167E-4AAA-41E2-B29C-24567EF86B8D.jpeg
950F27EA-D15E-44CC-8912-E2E85F9D21C9.jpeg
254CEB51-D2EC-46C9-B454-F1A142BE7FE0.jpeg
C11C5F06-1AF3-46C4-9F8E-351E3F36103B.jpeg
9C1B22FC-7764-4A1D-AA39-B47A01E70023.jpeg
13CE7674-69EA-4EA9-8277-ADDC757A9322.jpeg
8246C98F-751C-4DC2-B75A-C59CECF54BE0.jpeg

Attachments

• B3FB78A0-D084-4AE1-A553-6552687CD9A0.jpeg
    B3FB78A0-D084-4AE1-A553-6552687CD9A0.jpeg
    989 KB · Views: 1
Loving all the garden pictures! Pulled loads of greens all over the beds trying to make room for the tomatoes. The rabbits were all so stuffed they'd just look at me, belch, and wave me away. :gig Got another bucket of compost tea started and have just about enough foliage for a second one. Planted a load of tomatoes but tons more to plant or pot up. Potted up some of the pepper seedlings and moved my wintered over peppers out of the greenhouse.

Wintered Peppers.jpg

Pepper buds.jpg
They've got buds all over them so I'm hoping for my best crop ever.

Still working on getting the greenhouse deck presentable, still a way to go.
Greenhouse Deck 5.14.21.jpg

I had to pull the oregano that I'd planted next to the gooseberries last season, it tried to completely over-grow the gooseberry bush next to it. My hands still smell awesome though. I had no idea it would go that nuts, good thing the rabbits can eat that too.

I had a heck of a time getting the ladies back in the run, they'd been out just about all day and 4 of them had decided they just did not want to go back inside. And after I'd bragged about how good they were too.

It's spitting a little mist now but we're hoping for some real rain tonight. This used to be a notoriously wet climate but it just isn't anymore. I really need to invest in a rain catching and storage system.

Wow, y'all have such great gardens I'm envious! Some of you are harvesting already, that's amazing! I just have flowers, I can't compete with the chickens to grow veggies, and my health is such that I just don't have the strength or energy to do much any more. But I am working on a little rock garden with help from The Man and The Kid. Planted hostas around the perimeter today and dug some up that were in a bad place, divided and moving to a better spot. Going to take several days to get them all moved but should look real nice. Have to divide and transplant bulbs behind them this fall, should look really nice next spring!

Back
Top Bottom