What did you do in the garden today?

That's great! I had no idea!
Did she tell you how long till you get the results? Hopefully in time to save them!
I think it takes them a couple of days. She didn't give me a definitive time period but I think that's because we got sidetracked with the fact that I didn't bring enough soil in each baggie. As I mentioned before, it's a 40 minute drive one way. Not an easy task for me to take an hour & a half in the middle of the day to drive over there.... :/

IN for the afternoon as we head for another 108 HUMID day. Ridiculous.
This morning I cleaned the barn alley so we could move last season's cured hay into the barn from the hay shed and so the hay shed would be ready for the new stuff I hope to bale before the 4th of july.
Moved 11 bales of hay and called it a day. DH and I are trying to move 10-15 each, each time we go out to limit outside heat exposure. We have about 40 more bales to go, then a quick sweep out of the hay shed. The barn is breezy and shaded, but phew the drying shed and outside are bleh.

Garden looks happy. Some color on the blackberries.

Repaired a hose.

All showered and working on lunch.
Yep ridiculous here on plains.

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_151107_01.jpg
    IMG_20210617_151107_01.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 2
It is 96 here. That's hot enough!

I have a broody with fertilized eggs on day 14, and 4 others in varied hormonal states. Most pretty determined! When I went to check the nesting boxes, there was a rat snake headed into the nesting boxes. All the broody girls were in the boxes and one jumped out as it was getting in. My snake grabber spring broke, and it closed on me. I can't open it except by hand until i replace the spring. Snake got away, and I collected the eggs and locked the girls out until this evening. That might help break the less determined ones anyway. I'll have to keep an eye on the one with eggs. I could see her trying to defend them and getting constricted. I may try to cover up the kennel holes with chicken wire so it can't get in and lock her up for a while. It is hot here too, so I've been trying to let her get out if needed.

I have one blueberry plant that survived last winter, but is very pathetic. It puts on leaves then drops them and they don't look good. The plant next to it that I purchased this year is in the same soil (I added compost, sulfur, etc), and it looks great. I'm thinking about pulling the plug and swapping the second one I bought from a non-sulfur-amended 5 gallon bucket planting. I just have a hard time culling a plant that is still alive.... This Wal-mart clearance flower is recovering!

Attachments

• 20210617_084953.jpg
    20210617_084953.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210617_085005.jpg
    20210617_085005.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210617_085229.jpg
    20210617_085229.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 2
Spent the day watering and watching the drainage work on the field behind my property. A large drain was removed (darn..didn’t get to see that). It was right on the property line. Discovered all kinds of pipes in there! Two of them still have water flowing out of them…no wonder we nearly always would hear some water flowing deep beneath the dirt and stones around that drain …and those two pipes did not connect to anything, so they had created their own path to the next lower pipe, which was the actual drainage tile through the field. The contractors will lay the drainage pipe, then let the ground settle then later will put in the grass waterway for surface water to flow.

So garden math again... I popped by Lowes to see what was on clearance, and spotted a lovely rose called red drift. The hydrangea I planted is a crispy critter, totally died. It couldn't take the heat for whatever reason. The rose however I'm still cackling about. Lowes screwed up. It's about to bud out crazy! New buds and growth everywhere! But whoever marked it 50% off was only looking at the blooms that need to be deadheaded. Their loss, my gain.

I'll grab some pictures when I get it planted up, maybe this evening... We'll see.

So garden math again... I popped by Lowes to see what was on clearance, and spotted a lovely rose called red drift. The hydrangea I planted is a crispy critter, totally died. It couldn't take the heat for whatever reason. The rose however I'm still cackling about. Lowes screwed up. It's about to bud out crazy! New buds and growth everywhere! But whoever marked it 50% off was only looking at the blooms that need to be deadheaded. Their loss, my gain.

I'll grab some pictures when I get it planted up, maybe this evening... We'll see.
Drift roses are hardy things- I love them

I had one of those. Loved it! Unfortunately, it didn't survive the crazy extended cold weather we had this past winter.

Back
Top Bottom