What did you do in the garden today?

I walked out to all 3 of my gardens, umbrella in one hand. Walked in the shop and drank a beer. This has been the wettest I think I can ever remember in all my 41 years. I'm sure I'm gonna love these 500 gallon tanks I set up this year to collect water off my shop roof once it stops. Both are overflowing BTW. I'm sure once this stops it's gonna be 95% humidity and 115 temp.

Wow, is it CHILLY this morning! 44 at the house, and I bet it's 39 down the hill in the garden. High of low-mid 60s today. More "normal" temps after that.

Yesterday I had planned to get some energetic, ie, sweat inducing, work done outside in the cool weather. Just about every time I was ready to go out, we had a brief shower. Today should be dryer, so I hope to get some weeds pulled/hoed down.

@gtaus, let us know what you do with those planters, and how it works. I'm really curious about planting something like peas or beans in something like that.

Since I put a poop board in my coop, my "collecting" compost bin has not filled up nearly as fast. Instead of getting a lot of bedding in the scooping of poop, I'm getting just poop. I hope to dump a good base of weeds and some wet leaves in the "working" bin and get a pile heating up. Cuz I sure have a lot of poop to mix with it!

Question: Can peas be grown in deck rail planters and just let the vines hang down on the rails instead of growing up on a trellis? I would think so, but have not grown peas successfully in the garden on a trellis, so thought I might try something else. Just found 4 big planters in my shed that you put on the top deck rail and thought I might use them for peas. Have a pack of peas that I never opened this year. So thought I might give it a go.

View attachment 2729309

Backup idea is to just plant some radish in the planters. Another idea was to plant pole beans in these planters and just let them grow out and hang down the deck.

FWIW, I offered the planters up to Dear Wife for her flowers, but she took a pass on them as she is happy with all the flowers she has and does not want to buy more. Anyway, just trying to think of how to use these planters this summer if I can.
That should work

I've been hand pollinating my cucumbers & squash just for the fun of it, lol. Honestly I don't see a whole lot of pollinators around and it concerns me so I figured I couldn't hurt.

Can a spaghetti squash pollinate a yellow squash? I did that this am. :gig It seemed like it should work but what do I know about squash species?!

Good morning gardeners. Good to hear you made it through the storm @BReeder! The heat broke finally and we got a shower over night. Thinking we'd have a nice cool morning with temps at 70F. No, didn't work out since the humidity was 80%. I did a little work in the garden pulling weeds and putting down more straw mulch, but it was so muggy I had to go indoors and chug a can of Perrier. I turned the AC on and it's starting to feel a little less miserable. I wanted to water the big gardens in the back this morning however, we have rain forecasted to start around early afternoon. If we don't get enough rain today I do have a little time tomorrow morning to water before my doctor's appointment. I'm thinking I need to thin my carrots again so perhaps I can take care of that today. Otherwise, very little getting accomplished today. On a happier note, my BES plant is full of flower buds so it should be looking good in a few days.

It feels suddenly summer is leaving for a vacation. We have only 10 degree C here today, from morning till now. Also it keeps raining - 2000Liter buckets at different corners are full, and i guess no need for watering in the coming week.

Again collected some flowers for making a bouquet for family member.
25203.jpg

It feels suddenly summer is leaving for a vacation. We have only 10 degree C here today, from morning till now. Also it keeps raining - 2000Liter buckets at different corners are full, and i guess no need for watering in the coming week.

Again collected some flowers for making a bouquet for family member.
View attachment 2729662
Wow, your pictures look like stock photos! I'd love more pics of the cutting gardens when you get time.

Back
Top Bottom