What did you do in the garden today?

I bought my hardneck garlic cloves from a local farmer's market as well. I'm still working from the results of that.
I had intended to keep working till I was 72, I had a good job with great benefits and a 40% match on my 401k. Then I started thinking about my dad who worked hard his whole life and never got to retire till his health crashed and burned. I retired at 66 and we moved to a place with a much lower cost of living and while we don't live like kings, we are comfortable and live in a vacation paradise. Don't wait till your health prevents enjoying your life.
Dh and I had a realization moment when a coworker of ours died. He was planning what he'd do in his retirement, talked about how he'd do this and that. He was planning to retire at 62, and died at 60.

That was a wake up call for us. We started planning on NOT working as soon as we could, to enjoy the fruits of our labors. Before, we'd have said, "We really like our jobs, and will work till 65, probably." After, we said, "Although we like our jobs, we took what happened to John as a sign that there is more to life than working, and we are rethinking how long we'll work."

Good morning gardeners. Late again today. I think I need to set my alarm clock. It's going to be a fun day in the neighborhood today. One of the neighbors with 4 children is having a big birthday party today complete with a bouncy house. I let the littles out again yesterday afternoon. They ventured a little farther this time and were pretty good when I asked them to go back to their pen. OK, going back to the bread making: I'm curious as to the price of bread in your area @gtaus. Two loaves of moderately priced Canadian white bread here is $5. The most I ever pay for a good quality flour, usually unbleached white King Arthur brand which is relatively locally produced has been $5 for a 5 pound bag. (I can usually get it for much less between the sale price of $2.50 to $3.50 a bag) I average approximately 1 1/2 pounds of flour to make 2 modest sized loaves of bread. So the average cost of the flour is less than 80 cents a loaf. And there are no dough softeners or preservatives added into my homemade bread. A much healthier product at a much lower cost. And a quick tip for those of you who are new to bread baking: if you keep essential wheat gluten on hand you can easily turn regular flour into bread flour. Retirement? I agree with retiring while you can still enjoy your life. I retired at 67. I could have accumulated a much larger retirement annuity had I been able to make it just one more year. Sorry, I pretty much hated my job and only stayed until I could no longer bear it. I bought my current property as my retirement plan to settle down in a more rural, larger property where I had enough room to have a really big vegetable garden and to have ample room for my chickens. Since DD has been living here these past 7 months she has remarked that I do more work now than before I retired. But this is the work I enjoy. Honestly, the grass mowing in the backyard is a bit of a PITA on a hot humid day, but it's all a part of living my retirement dream. And after three years, I'm still loving it. On the garden front: I planted cabbage, carrots, radishes and lettuce this morning and I pruned the tomatoes. Enough done, next I need to work on the grass mowing.

I bought my hardneck garlic cloves from a local farmer's market as well. I'm still working from the results of that.

Dh and I had a realization moment when a coworker of ours died. He was planning what he'd do in his retirement, talked about how he'd do this and that. He was planning to retire at 62, and died at 60.

That was a wake up call for us. We started planning on NOT working as soon as we could, to enjoy the fruits of our labors. Before, we'd have said, "We really like our jobs, and will work till 65, probably." After, we said, "Although we like our jobs, we took what happened to John as a sign that there is more to life than working, and we are rethinking how long we'll work."
Yes- live your life- not your job. I retired at 66 and have loved every minute- although there was a period of time I was lost. You can’t work around a schedule for 48 yrs and readjust quickly. I would wake up thinking- what can I do before getting ready to go to work- then stop and laugh. Then there is a certain uncomfortable feeling knowing that you are not earning money and bills need paid. All that goes away eventually and you settle into a new routine. Then- it is glorious.

Keep gardening all you retired folks! That's how my Papa lived to be 85. He kept on doing, keeping chickens, gardening, etc. The work kept him fit and healthy longer and he had a fuller life. We're meant to labor over something I think, might as well be something beautiful like a garden.

98 today, high 90s rest of the week. I'll be watering daily, if not twice, and that's about all I can handle without getting yelled at by doctor lady or kicked silly by the baby. Haha!

Keep gardening all you retired folks! That's how my Papa lived to be 85. He kept on doing, keeping chickens, gardening, etc. The work kept him fit and healthy longer and he had a fuller life. We're meant to labor over something I think, might as well be something beautiful like a garden.

98 today, high 90s rest of the week. I'll be watering daily, if not twice, and that's about all I can handle without getting yelled at by doctor lady or kicked silly by the baby. Haha!
When is your due date?

Back
Top Bottom