What did you do in the garden today?

All I did was walk 25 feet from my door to the door of the laundry room (aka my dad's house, lol). On the way back, dizzy spells. Thank goodness I can walk a straight line even when the world spins. Turns out it's 99F outside. No wonder. I'll water in a while here, another couple of hours, try to give it time for the sun to go behind the other building.

I think if we have more children, we'll aim not to be due in the middle of freaking summer. Fall is nice, so is spring. The first was dead of winter, second will be dead of summer. I've learned my lesson!

As a little update, my in-ground plants are doing great. The jasmine, grapes, and honeysuckle are all holding steady. The honeysuckle isn't growing much but they do keep blooming. The other two have actually put on some growth and are bigger than when I planted them. The potted plants... some are good still. All the raspberries, including one I held back and kept in the house in the AC, called it quits. I'll take it as a sign and stick to blackberries and strawberries next spring. The basil is clinging desperately to life, the thyme is actually looking pretty good, as is the aloe! I know, of course the aloe looks good, it likes the heat! :gig

I'm going to research the most heat-resistant, everbearing strawberry and blackberry varieties and plan for those. This first summer has been an incredible learning experience for me. We haven't done very much, but we've learned our new soil and our new climate. By spring planting we should have prepped (fingers crossed) as much garden space as we really want to handle here.

All I did was walk 25 feet from my door to the door of the laundry room (aka my dad's house, lol). On the way back, dizzy spells. Thank goodness I can walk a straight line even when the world spins. Turns out it's 99F outside. No wonder. I'll water in a while here, another couple of hours, try to give it time for the sun to go behind the other building.

I think if we have more children, we'll aim not to be due in the middle of freaking summer. Fall is nice, so is spring. The first was dead of winter, second will be dead of summer. I've learned my lesson!

As a little update, my in-ground plants are doing great. The jasmine, grapes, and honeysuckle are all holding steady. The honeysuckle isn't growing much but they do keep blooming. The other two have actually put on some growth and are bigger than when I planted them. The potted plants... some are good still. All the raspberries, including one I held back and kept in the house in the AC, called it quits. I'll take it as a sign and stick to blackberries and strawberries next spring. The basil is clinging desperately to life, the thyme is actually looking pretty good, as is the aloe! I know, of course the aloe looks good, it likes the heat! :gig

I'm going to research the most heat-resistant, everbearing strawberry and blackberry varieties and plan for those. This first summer has been an incredible learning experience for me. We haven't done very much, but we've learned our new soil and our new climate. By spring planting we should have prepped (fingers crossed) as much garden space as we really want to handle here.
I have dizzy spells too- use Meclizine to help when needed. Dehydration seems to make it worse. My grandmother rocked and reeled and I guess I do too.

Went out to the garden to pick ripe tomatoes again today. My freezer is filling up with them. Lol. The chickens get them for snacks- now if I could just convince the dogs…lol.

Attachments

• 9AE63DB0-88B9-49EE-A009-70752AC7C2D0.jpeg
    9AE63DB0-88B9-49EE-A009-70752AC7C2D0.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 2
I picked some beans to take to a friend tomorrow; hers are not doing well at all this year.

I have 3 types: Dragon Tongue, a purple bush, and a green bush. The green bush bore first. The purple bush will probably have the most beans per plant, but I only have about 8 plants.

Dragon Tongue is by far my favorite. It has nice, big beans that are juicy, not tough. Since they're a mottled purple on yellow, they're easy to see. They may have been the latest to start, but not by much. I plan to save some seeds to plant next year, as well as planting some purchased seeds because I somehow ended up with 2 packets.

Back
Top Bottom