What did you do in the garden today?

Housing prices here even Seattle has tripled the prices we bought the house 2015, 2178 square feet all one level with 3/4 an acre 124 thousand fannie mea wanted it sold off their books went to get insurance 350 thousand is replacement. Now our home is valued at 425 thousand
My neighbor Mary sold her 2 bedroom 1 bath SMALL house on maybe 1/8 acre for 649,000 a few months ago. It’s really scary.

My neighbor Mary sold her 2 bedroom 1 bath SMALL house on maybe 1/8 acre for 649,000 a few months ago. It’s really scary.
Our house payment is down to 874. a month .. They built a few houses in town asking in the 5's for them 4 where built none have sold so far...

Quickly picked red tomatoes and pulled out the currant tomato plants.
The vines were insane, the fruit is small (Supposed to be), but a pain to pick and dig though the vines for, so out they came. Now I have 8 feet for something else and 9 weeks for it to get going. Maybe some beans?
I also pulled some white green beans and some purple ones, enough to toss in for dinner. The vines are struggling in the heat.
Currently feels like 104

Ours did too, but luckily we can appeal, and I did. I argued covid inflation bubble and city flight and yup. Hardly anyone asks.
We tried to argue ours going up because Arkansas has something called Amendment 79 which is SUPPOSED to prevent your taxes from rising more than 10%. We tried to argue that they were violating state law by doubling ours. They came back and said they are supposedly allowed to 're-adjust' ours since the previous homeowner was over 65 and therefore exempt from any increase but since we are new owners it gave them the right to reappraise in a way that Amendment 79 doesn't (allegedly)protect us. I don't know...I might still fight it, if I can. Just a bunch of crap, honestly.... They KNEW that housing appraisals are through the roof so they are clearly taking advantage of a bubble before it bursts (and it will inevitably).

ETA....our house is 4.39 Acres. We bought it for $250K which, I felt, was a steal really... If it had gone on the market, I guarantee they'd have gotten more. The one story, ranch house is 4 BR, 2 BA and 2139 SF but we've got a 40x60 barn and a 20x40 shop (both with electric). Our appraisal when we BOUGHT the house in Jan 2020 was right at $250K. Taxes were assessed at a value of $158K. When they 'reassessed' our taxes, they claim it also came in right at $250K...but then, they could have easily looked at the title work and known that.... Anyway, probably a losing battle to get the taxes lowered, but I still feel like they were being shady. I'm just mad that they doubled the taxes when state law says they shouldn't raise more than 10%.

If I wanted to sell it (which I don't), we could easily get $300K or more.

Last edited:
I have taken out all the corn from my garden (harvest and the plant itself), uprooted old tomatoes to get ready for germinating tomatoes, harvesting cucumbers as always for every day, harvesting 2nd watermelon since growth, and planted lettuce, onion, and more tomatoes... Happy,happy,happy!

Just a question, but should one of us posters start a new "What did you do in the garden today?" post, since this one has been going on since 2012? I just think it will be a fresh start for this much anticipated posting of the days harvesting...

Everything around here is expensive too, but this is also an oil boom town. We're renting our spot, treating the RV payment like a mortgage. We got a deal in just before the RV market shot through the roof too. They jumped, significantly, after we secured our purchase price. Landlady is my dad's girlfriend, so the plot rent is not likely to increase any time soon. She's a pinch above the average for the area, but it's worth it because she's letting us garden and keep chickens in a bit here too.

Doing nothing today. It rained most of yesterday and the ground is still drying out, so no need to water. Also just having a no good, painful day.

The housing market down here is going crazy too.... We looked for 2 years and were always outbid. We purchased our house in Feb 2020, right before Covid hit. I would have NEVER gotten this house except that our realtor knew the seller so we had a heads up before it actually hit the market. However, the seller was going through a divorce so we had to wait a year before we could actually close. It was hard to wait, but I am forever grateful...

My DH has to approve septic permits for the Dept of Health so he sees a lot of new construction. He was telling me the other day that small houses around 1500 SF were appraising for $300K - $450K! That's INSANE for Arkansas.... These same houses were selling for $165K-$175K just 2 yrs ago. Of course, our county is taking advantage of the craziness. They just did a countywide reappraisal for tax purposes. My property taxes DOUBLED. :mad:

the same here. taxes up and money people willing to pay down. I am staying another year here. I am not going to sell cheap this house.

Back
Top Bottom