What did you do in the garden today?

Yay Inky! ❤️

Did any of you plant garlic in raised beds? My garlic, shallots, walking onions and Jerusalem artichokes are in raised beds that measure 4'×8'×2'. The beds are likely to freeze solid during the winter. I mulch on top to keep frost off any growth that decides pop it of the soil, but I hope these plants make it through the winter. It's my first winter with all of them.
Yes, everything I have is in raised beds. I originally bought garlic grown for my zone, it actually grows much better when it goes in in the fall, starts to grow a bit & then freezes for the winter. Sometimes it spends most of the winter under the snow & does great.

Morning all. Getting a little snow out there. Still haven't been able to cover the strawberry plants, they haven't died back yet. I never expected it to be this late, but I read mid-dec in this area to cover so I guess it's normal.

The turkey we had yesterday was done in a roasting bag - it was so good! I didn't get enough, I think I'm going to pull on out of the freezer & do it next weekend. :drool

Morning all. Getting a little snow out there. Still haven't been able to cover the strawberry plants, they haven't died back yet. I never expected it to be this late, but I read mid-dec in this area to cover so I guess it's normal.
That's another thing I'll miss from Portland, it rarely snows very much but watching the snow fall there was such a sweet memory. It always made me feel like a kid again.
The turkey we had yesterday was done in a roasting bag - it was so good! I didn't get enough, I think I'm going to pull on out of the freezer & do it next weekend. :drool
HAH! I felt the same way, I pulled a couple turkey thighs out of the freezer and cooked them yesterday. The bones and the roasting pan drippings went into the stock pot on the stove. I ever added the beef cheeks to the pot and cooked them till they were tender then took them out to use for a pot of minestrone. The turkey thighs are so good.

Inky looked great this morning and had gotten her feathers cleaned up and fluffed out so you only know anything had happened if you knew ahead of time, so I let her out of the cage and witched how the others acted. It all seems good.

Hey all my recycled/upcycle tire people. I saw the coolest flower/veg bed made out of old tires and painted. It was a giant snake. EASY to put together.
Just google recycled tire flower bed snake and it will pop right up in the images.
Those are awesome! There are a whole bunch of different projects and patterns but I have to say I liked the snakes the most. I might have to build something like that on the outside of the front fence.

In the process of canning the stock, it's a nice mixture of turkey, duck, and beef. It needs more salt but I figure that it's better to be on the safe side of too salty.

@BReeder!, not any help here, the raised beds never freeze. But yeah I plant nearly everything in the raised beds.

So I was seeing to the ladies this morning when they all suddenly started yelling and were looking behind me. I figured it was the hawk come back but it was Inky (formerly known as Dead Inky) yelling and running along the side fence with Penny in more or less hot pursuit! I got Penny called off easily (she was not trying to catch her, just trotting after Inky) and caught Inky! I checked her over and it looks like other than missing feathers just above her tail and over her leg, she seems good. I saw what looked like pin pricks on one side but it looks like her feathers protected her. I fixed the broody cage but with lots of soft bedding and put it in the main pen, she'll need to cover those bald patches before getting with the rest of the ladies. I am so happy! Even if she has something hidden wrong and passes anyway, at least she is safe and warm and with her flock. :wee :wee :wee :wee :ya :ya :yesss: :celebrate:clap:love
Amazing news @NewBoots :celebrate

I watered yesterday, got down real close to the mulch, and examined my plants and seedlings. The mustard greens are starting to come up and we've got a stretch of good daytime highs now so I can get some more stuff germinated. I need to plant up another box and fill two more with dirt and mulch, but this flu/cold/covid thing is hanging around and dragging me down still. Who the heck knows what it is, but my butt is staying home and away from people so no big deal. This is what grocery delivery is for after all, that and all us hardcore introverts. :oops:

I haven't grocery shopped in years. :gig

Those are awesome! There are a whole bunch of different projects and patterns but I have to say I liked the snakes the most. I might have to build something like that on the outside of the front fence.

In the process of canning the stock, it's a nice mixture of turkey, duck, and beef. It needs more salt but I figure that it's better to be on the safe side of too salty.
I started freezing bones of all sorts of things, I'm going to just throw it all in a pot & all it 'stock', lol. I've never done a mix before, but I think it sounds delish.

@Wee Farmer Sarah - did you get snow? We have a little dusting on the ground. It was nice mood snow all day yesterday but didn't accumulate much. It was perfect.

Back
Top Bottom