What did you do in the garden today?

We planted the 2 replacement Sourwood trees on Wednesday. I've planted them 3 times now, if these die, I'm done with them. (Different areas in the yard)
It's so irritating that I can grow all trees except for Sourwoods, what the heck?!
I guess we'll see what happens.

When did you plant it? Some of my garlic has shot up tiny shoots (that look like grass), but not all of it has. So don't give up yet! It may be fine!

& what kind of jam are you making? I'm always on the hunt for some good jam for Christmas!
I planted the garlic in the first half of November.
I just made the Christmas Jam I made the last 2 years. It’s the one with cranberries, strawberries, a little bit of orange and some spices.
I also made carrot cake jam.
I still need to make cranberry orange pear jam and probably another batch of Christmas jam.

Whatever other plants you put by ducks, I would say stick with plants that are taller than they can reach and woody. Trees, shrubs and bushes worth well. Cacti might work for you. Not sure if a duck would get stuck with thorns though so avoid any that are toxic.

My biggest issue with ducks are poop and mud. And those two mix together always to form the nastiest sludge. You may be much drier in AZ than I am though. My duck run is currently an outdoor deep litter bed of sorts with leaves, straw and wood chips that I'll muck out next year into the compost bins and refill with whatever carbon rich matter I can at that time. Needless to say, it isn't a pretty area with lush greenery. I intend to plant flowers in front of the run fence and would like to plant a short tree in the center of their run. The nutrient soil and water would feed a tree well that didn't mind wet roots. That's my vision for now... gardening a duck run isn't an easy task.
Believe it or not, I do have to move the pool or the area becomes a bog, even in our dry climate. I don’t keep the beasts in a run though, so I’m free to move it wherever.

The things my ducks haven’t devoured are Mexican bird of paradise, although they enjoy munching the yellow one for some reason. They leave the rosemary alone, and a few other desert things. I want something different in this new area so I checked out stuff at the park and took some pics, now looking through websites to get info about them.

What I really should do is get rid of the tropicals in the shade garden and open that up for the pool. I’m considering it.

We planted the 2 replacement Sourwood trees on Wednesday. I've planted them 3 times now, if these die, I'm done with them. (Different areas in the yard)
It's so irritating that I can grow all trees except for Sourwoods, what the heck?!
I guess we'll see what happens.
Could be a pathogen in the soil that inhibits a block of species tree. We have that on our hill top - It causes stunted trees-greatly inhibited growth in all but the oaks. It outright KILLS maple trees. My fruit trees are only half the size they should be.

Dh almost got the whole RV water filter set up this afternoon/evening. I watered the garden with our cruddy salt water, lol, and now we're winding down our weekend workday. The mustard greens are coming up really good now, there are multiple cabbage sprouts coming up, and I spotted at least one rutabaga sprout.

Today I also took a small handful of kale and mizuna leaves and we shared those as a snack this afternoon. Can't beat homegrown flavor!

Whatever other plants you put by ducks, I would say stick with plants that are taller than they can reach and woody. Trees, shrubs and bushes worth well. Cacti might work for you. Not sure if a duck would get stuck with thorns though so avoid any that are toxic.

My biggest issue with ducks are poop and mud. And those two mix together always to form the nastiest sludge. You may be much drier in AZ than I am though. My duck run is currently an outdoor deep litter bed of sorts with leaves, straw and wood chips that I'll muck out next year into the compost bins and refill with whatever carbon rich matter I can at that time. Needless to say, it isn't a pretty area with lush greenery. I intend to plant flowers in front of the run fence and would like to plant a short tree in the center of their run. The nutrient soil and water would feed a tree well that didn't mind wet roots. That's my vision for now... gardening a duck run isn't an easy task.

my ducks love prickly pear! no cacti near ducks. even chickens would eat them.

Back
Top Bottom