What did you do in the garden today?

Still have a lot more to do to winterize the garden, as well as other yard chores that keep not getting done. The almost constant rain is a good excuse, plus extra hours at work due to holiday sales, but to be really honest I've been pretty lazy, spending more time wrapped in a blanket on the couch with the purring cat on my lap, watching old movies, than I really have excuses for. Or watching different species of birds fly in and out of the carport to feast on seeds from the sunflower heads hanging there.
I did get the final load of tomatoes made into sauce, a few loads of leaves raked up, and some progress on the laundry room renovation. Mr. Dog got his cast off and gets his final x-ray on Wednesday, so hopefully the Dr. will clear him to help me with the lighter chores.

Wednesday is also when our formerly-feral kitty Pumpkin has her spay appointment. We suspect she might already be spayed, because she's over a year old and hasn't gotten pregnant or shown signs of being in heat, and we know some of the kittens from her litter were caught and spayed. The vet said that sometimes when feral cats are spayed, the vet will put a green tattoo on the belly. She promised if they find one after they shave Pumpkin's belly, they will let me know and give me a spay certificate (so we can license her at the lower rate) and not cut her open for nothing. I'm really hoping she has the green tattoo! I've tried to look, but she is extremely insulted when I fiddle with or blow on her belly hair.
For some reason I'm in a get rid of everything mood so I've been downsizing the last few days, I'm sick of 'crap' hanging around that has no use. My house is too small. I'm hoping it will be so much change that DH won't notice all his stupid knickknack stuff has been boxed up. :gig Shhhhh...
Wow, are we related? My house is full of clutter and I'm sick of the general clutter, even though when I look at each thing individually I like most of the things. Just tired of dusting them.
He'd probably never notice but it's a lot of stuff from his Dad & his grandparents farm so I'd feel guilty.
I feel you completely.
There are certain things I don’t touch, particularly things hubs got from his dad or grandparents. I ask him to limit it to his space in the office though. He never dusts and rarely gets rid of things…he’s a borderline hoarder I think lol.
Yes! The third bedroom in our home is totally Mr. Dog's "hoarder room." I rarely even go in there, but when I have to for some reason I think I'm in a Discovery Channel episode. I might be a borderline hoarder too, but most of my stuff is outside. Wood, pallets, fencing and roofing material, garden stuff, chicken feeders, parts that go to or can potentially go to, all of the above...neither of us can resist a freebie that may come in useful some day. At least each of our "stuff" is confined to one area each.

The main problem is, most of the "stuff" both his and mine, ends up being useful eventually. Every time we're working on some project, it never fails that the exact thing we need to connect this to that, we find in one of our hoarder piles. And it also never fails that when we do get rid of "stuff" we end up wishing we had it for the next project, and regret getting rid of it.

I guess the answer is to organize all of our crap, "a place for everything and everything in its place" as my Grandma tried to teach me. So we know where to find what we need, and get rid of what we don't need.

@littledog I think you, me & @igorsMistress are long lost family for sure! :gig DH tells me his dream is to own a junk yard. :th He is very organized with his 'junk', as I call it, so I can't complain. He keeps everything on a pallet rack behind the shop so I and the neighbors can't see it. But if I told you how many vehicles, tractors & trailers we have you'd be disgusted. LOL (but they all run & serve a use)

Rainy & warm here today. Still a shot at some snow on Wed. Got the snoblower all tuned up & ready, added some anti-gel to the tractor so we're ready! So it'll miss us. :gig

2nd batch of broth is still going. I was afraid of no room, but I have to pull the last bag of chicken food out of the freezer & it's winter now so I don't need to freeze more so I'll be all set. I should be good with broth till spring (DH eats a soup every day, so I go thru a lot).

I'm rambling. Have a great day all, I have security awareness training today & I'm not looking forward to it! Blech. :rant

Everything I planted has now sprouted, minus the leeks. I'm still waiting on them. It was cold last night, upper 30s, but super super windy. No frost. The RV was rocking enough I had trouble sleeping. Need to look into hurricane strapping.

Yesterday was supposed to be the "do nothing" day out of the week, but DH got a wild hair up his nose or something and ended up spreading mulch. I asked him why he was working, he said the visible progress was making him happy. Okay! Got him to put some mulch in the bottom of two garden boxes for me while he was at it, so good deal. Now I just need to fill them with dirt and top with the finer mulch material. Not a job I enjoy. I'm not a big person, although fairly strong for my size thanks to the toddler, lol.

Still have a lot more to do to winterize the garden, as well as other yard chores that keep not getting done. The almost constant rain is a good excuse, plus extra hours at work due to holiday sales, but to be really honest I've been pretty lazy, spending more time wrapped in a blanket on the couch with the purring cat on my lap, watching old movies, than I really have excuses for. Or watching different species of birds fly in and out of the carport to feast on seeds from the sunflower heads hanging there.
I did get the final load of tomatoes made into sauce, a few loads of leaves raked up, and some progress on the laundry room renovation. Mr. Dog got his cast off and gets his final x-ray on Wednesday, so hopefully the Dr. will clear him to help me with the lighter chores.

Wednesday is also when our formerly-feral kitty Pumpkin has her spay appointment. We suspect she might already be spayed, because she's over a year old and hasn't gotten pregnant or shown signs of being in heat, and we know some of the kittens from her litter were caught and spayed. The vet said that sometimes when feral cats are spayed, the vet will put a green tattoo on the belly. She promised if they find one after they shave Pumpkin's belly, they will let me know and give me a spay certificate (so we can license her at the lower rate) and not cut her open for nothing. I'm really hoping she has the green tattoo! I've tried to look, but she is extremely insulted when I fiddle with or blow on her belly hair.

Wow, are we related? My house is full of clutter and I'm sick of the general clutter, even though when I look at each thing individually I like most of the things. Just tired of dusting them.

I feel you completely.

Yes! The third bedroom in our home is totally Mr. Dog's "hoarder room." I rarely even go in there, but when I have to for some reason I think I'm in a Discovery Channel episode. I might be a borderline hoarder too, but most of my stuff is outside. Wood, pallets, fencing and roofing material, garden stuff, chicken feeders, parts that go to or can potentially go to, all of the above...neither of us can resist a freebie that may come in useful some day. At least each of our "stuff" is confined to one area each.

The main problem is, most of the "stuff" both his and mine, ends up being useful eventually. Every time we're working on some project, it never fails that the exact thing we need to connect this to that, we find in one of our hoarder piles. And it also never fails that when we do get rid of "stuff" we end up wishing we had it for the next project, and regret getting rid of it.

I guess the answer is to organize all of our crap, "a place for everything and everything in its place" as my Grandma tried to teach me. So we know where to find what we need, and get rid of what we don't need.
We have those piles too lol.

Good morning all. Still catching up on everything. The yard work is finished. The chicken run is almost completely wrapped. Just a few spots to cover before the real winter weather hits. I still need to hook up my leaf blower to the gutter cleaning attachment and clear out the back gutter. It takes longer to drag it all out and hook it up than it actually takes to blow the debris out of the gutter. But it saves me from the thrill of climbing up on a ladder, LOL! It warmed up to rain today and this evening, but snow is in the forecast for Wednesday. I need to spend a little quality time with the snowblower either today or tomorrow. I still have a boatload of apples to turn into applesauce. I'm hoping to take care of that later this week. I've started getting emails from Ferry-Morse along with the usual coupons to tempt me. They already have seeds on the shelves of my local discount store, Ocean State Job Lots. Golly, I just need to get through Christmas first. DD took me to see the Boston Ballet perform the Nutcracker yesterday. It was spectacular. This was the very first live entertainment since the pandemic started. What a treat. Oh well, back to work. Have a great day everyone! P.S. The piles don't get too big here on the Wee Farm, I have the Got Junk guys on speed dial!

Week 3, or is it 4, of bathroom gut/remodel. This means everyone in the house has 1 bathroom to use…the MB, so sometimes we get woken up by a nighttime bathroom visitor. Still a few weeks to go likely. But, now there is brand new subfloor, but no ceiling. In fact, no ceiling messes with the HVAC, so much so that the errors were accumulating in the system and the HVSC company called US, and were over to check it out 10 min later…lol, they agreed that the lack of a ceiling was likely the cause of the error messages. Yes, we are changing the filters weekly due to the dust. This large family bath was yucky, large and poorly used space, so we gutted and are creating a better designed whole bath and adding a half bath in the same space (an added doorway, of course). Keeping us busy, for sure.

Garden, needs a little attention-mostly the strawberries need covered, so will try to do that today.

Back
Top Bottom