What did you do in the garden today?

I built my tomato bed inside my hoop house last year. All 3 varieties I had in there were indeterminate (yellow brandywine, bradley, and purple cherokee). They went crazy and took over half the hoop house by the end of the season. So this year I was hoping to stick to more determinate types.... However, I just realized that the packets of seeds I bought from Baker's doesn't tell me what type they are.... 😒

I ordered a Black Strawberry , Blue Cream Berries , Sart Roloise , and Prairie Fire. Anyone actually raised any of these before? I'm curious which type they might be....

Kitchen garden seed order arrived.

We think we will try ornamental vining flowers as shade for the chicken run this year.

Anyone with experience with either flower? They will be planted outside the run , but always possible that the chickens can reach a bit here and there.

16D7E430-74A9-4189-8DBC-F6AAC17225BB.jpeg

I built my tomato bed inside my hoop house last year. All 3 varieties I had in there were indeterminate (yellow brandywine, bradley, and purple cherokee). They went crazy and took over half the hoop house by the end of the season. So this year I was hoping to stick to more determinate types.... However, I just realized that the packets of seeds I bought from Baker's doesn't tell me what type they are.... 😒

I ordered a Black Strawberry , Blue Cream Berries , Sart Roloise , and Prairie Fire. Anyone actually raised any of these before? I'm curious which type they might be....
Email them directly! I had similar question on potatoes last year…apparently the can be determinate or indeterminate too! And they certainly aren’t labeled that way. But That company replied to me with the specific info I needed.

Aphids found the broccoli. I'm kind of done with it anyway, been eating it since Thanksgiving.
I told a (non-chicken, non-gardening) friend that I stopped buying eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and garlic from the store. She asked, sarcastically, how much money that saved me. Well, okay, they aren't big ticket items, but there is a LOT of YUM you can make from them by themselves, or with one or two additional ingredients.

Actually, if I had to buy all those items as organic, then, yeah, it adds up. :)
Yeah, gotta compare to the organic/farmers market prices. My Japanese sweet potatoes are $4/lb and I grew 40+ pounds. I buy no eggs, no chicken, and almost no veggies from the store. Last year the only thing I bought regularly were onions. I bought mushrooms last month and realized it had been a couple years since I last bought them, since I've always got something else from the garden that needs to be eaten.
Cherry/grape tomatoes are usually indeterminate. Looking forward to Prairie Fire, it'll be my first year growing it.

Interesting! Good to know. But thinking about it... it makes sense. It wouldn't be very good to have all your cherry tomatoes ripen at the same time, would it? Does any one use them for anything but snacking or putting in salads? 🤔
Bacon. Cut in half. Wrap around cherry tomato. Secure with toothpick or put on skewer. Bake in oven 375-400F. 12-15 min. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom