What did you do in the garden today?

I'm no expert... but to me it sounds like the rooster(s) attacked the goats, and the goats are now pissed off trying to show their dominance over them.
If roosters attack people and dogs, it's no real stretch to think that they'd attack the goats.
Yeah, I'd agree except that my roosters have never attacked anyone. Those that do end up in the stew pot pretty quickly. My billy seemed to single out this one particular roo for whatever reason. He doesn't bother with any of the others really.... Either way, I can't allow it to continue. I was going to cull the white rooster anyway because I have too many roos and I'd rather have the genetics from the others over this one. If I dispatch this poor soul and then Peter turns his aggression on a different roo, well...then I'll have to make some really tough decisions. :(

8 o clock this morning Pugsly is in to have the gonads removed .. Muzzled the monster so he cannot bite them.
He is a spoiled wrotten pup.
008.jpg

Good afternoon gardeners! It’s been a couple of busy weeks and there’s no rest for the wicked. The bunnies seem to enjoy their outdoor space quite a bit and temps have been perfect for them. Kevin is a streak as he runs past, and seems to love that tunnel.

I’m just getting some things started this weekend, mostly flowers, comfrey, etc. I had to clean the room where the rabbits will live again in summer and get the worms set up. I’ve learned some lessons and have a new plan for when the buns move back inside. I got the free compost bin from the city and that’s in use already. I’ve been trimming/still have some shrubs to trim and I’m giving everything some worm tea this weekend. We picked lemons, holy cow! I have a five gallon bucket full plus a bag for hubs to take to work and we have some to my folks already. The lemonade will be delisherous this summer though. The Arabian lilac and olive tree look good and there are flowers on the lemon tree. The chaste trees have dropped their leaves but I’m hoping for the best. I’m still waiting for a night blooming jessamine, another lilac that has white flowers, the apple tree and maybe something else but I can’t remember right now.

Stay safe, I hope you all can get your hands in some dirt soon!

"OK, just went out to the coop. Managed to catch the roo. He is limping but I don't see any other injuries. He has dried blood all over his legs like he clearly spurred someone. I managed to catch the billy. He had one area of dried blood on his side but no wounds. I was unable to catch the doe who also has some blood on her. I will try again to catch her shortly...."

I've kept chickens and goats in the same 1 acre pen for several years now. Have never seen any conflict between the 2 species..... until.... This past spring (almost a year ago) I saw, several times, the buck and the rooster battling it out. To me it seemed the rooster always started the conflict. Saw him, several times stalk the buck for several minutes, waiting for the right moment to attack. They seem to have resolved their differences since and the roo has never been aggressive towards humans.

"OK, just went out to the coop. Managed to catch the roo. He is limping but I don't see any other injuries. He has dried blood all over his legs like he clearly spurred someone. I managed to catch the billy. He had one area of dried blood on his side but no wounds. I was unable to catch the doe who also has some blood on her. I will try again to catch her shortly...."

I've kept chickens and goats in the same 1 acre pen for several years now. Have never seen any conflict between the 2 species..... until.... This past spring (almost a year ago) I saw, several times, the buck and the rooster battling it out. To me it seemed the rooster always started the conflict. Saw him, several times stalk the buck for several minutes, waiting for the right moment to attack. They seem to have resolved their differences since and the roo has never been aggressive towards humans.
Yeah, I'm quite baffled by this incident because they've lived together for 2 yrs now with absolutely no incidents. The roo (2 yrs old) was raised with the goats from a day old and the goat has been around chickens for many years. Clearly something has happened or changed... I just don't know what.

We are culling some roosters on Sunday. The roo in question will be among those sentenced... We will see if that improves the billy's disposition.

Back
Top Bottom