What did you do in the garden today?

Well storms blew through... Dogwood tree next to my garage was struck by lightning. Luckily my daughter is at her BFF graduation or her car would have been crushed. It partially landed on my truck. Nothing broken but I can't tell if it is dented or scratched... Also dealing with a migraine so I left the clean up to DH and DS
Awe what a shame! Loss of a dogwood is so sad, they are beautiful when green, when blooming, and even when bare because of their graceful branches.
Have 6 pints of dandylion jelly canned up. I may have oopsed and boiled the petals a touch too long but it still tastes good. Touch too much lemon but I will never complain about that. 😁
Pictures of canned goods are always welcome! Especially jams and jellies.
Recently purchased this book bc I couldn’t find my other Ball book.
I think that's the version I have, I didn't realize there were so many rhubarb recipes in it.
The slugs have found my strawberry beds.... :he
My place is their first listing in their contacts. Got our first strawberry. :barnie
I just plant the sunflower seeds in the ground, they are super easy to grow. ;)
Can't do that here, the snugs and snails munch them.
If you need fertilizer you can make it from weeds - see David the Good on YT. The problem can be the solution as permaculturist say.
Borage and comfrey both make great compost tea and couldn't be easier to make.
So...I ordered a Galaxy watch that has fall detection & will call 911. I feel so old, like 'I've fallen & I can't get up". :gigBut I can't wait for it to get here, I'm so scared of passing out. & if I pass out in the chicken run I know those little witches will eat me. :th:drool
I don't blame you, my girls are nice to my face but I suspect they're the shifty sort as well. :D
Results from heart monitor shows in AFIB constantly heart rate from 50 to 144 plus at some point I had a small heart attack .
That must be scary for you, but I know that as practical as you are, you'll do what you need to do.
Toddling around the orchard with the hen as co-pilot, I found tent worms. I've spent the afternoon trimming, and burning the little Bas...boogers.
That's what we always did with them when I was a kid, my dad would cut off the branch that had them and he'd put them in a big coffee can, shoot in a little lighter fluid and burn them. Is that still the best way?
Gardens a bit rough, but coming along day by day.
That is a lovely setup and such a beautiful view.
But the gorgeous romaine lettuce I did buy from store had lil critters all down in it!
I have to wash the heck out any greens I take from the garden for just that reason. There's so many little worms and tiny slugs from all the rain, I haven't wanted to share them with the neighbors like I normally do from embarrassment.

It's been nice the last 2 days so I finally got 2 more of the tomatoes moved from the greenhouse to the raised beds. It'll be time soon to pull the rest of the greens out of the beds and then there'll be more room for the rest of the seedling tomatoes. I've got to get the pots in front of the greenhouse ready for the peppers. But now, I need to go out now and get the lawn mowed.

I need to spray the berries and fruit trees tomorrow. Also noticed some white flies on the lone tomato plant that is not located in the hoop house. Temps will be climbing tomorrow so I will water early in the morning.

Still haven't had time to bring in the wood chips on top of the cardboard. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow or Thursday... But I did get the straw mulch around the corn.
20220517_171547.jpg

Honeysuckle, yarrow, and some unidentified flowering tree are all in bloom and smell so lovely! It just permeates the air... Roses are all blooming too.

20220517_174840.jpg

20220517_174832.jpg

Awe what a shame! Loss of a dogwood is so sad, they are beautiful when green, when blooming, and even when bare because of their graceful branches.

Pictures of canned goods are always welcome! Especially jams and jellies.

I think that's the version I have, I didn't realize there were so many rhubarb recipes in it.

My place is their first listing in their contacts. Got our first strawberry. :barnie

Can't do that here, the snugs and snails munch them.

Borage and comfrey both make great compost tea and couldn't be easier to make.

I don't blame you, my girls are nice to my face but I suspect they're the shifty sort as well. :D

That must be scary for you, but I know that as practical as you are, you'll do what you need to do.

That's what we always did with them when I was a kid, my dad would cut off the branch that had them and he'd put them in a big coffee can, shoot in a little lighter fluid and burn them. Is that still the best way?

That is a lovely setup and such a beautiful view.

I have to wash the heck out any greens I take from the garden for just that reason. There's so many little worms and tiny slugs from all the rain, I haven't wanted to share them with the neighbors like I normally do from embarrassment.

It's been nice the last 2 days so I finally got 2 more of the tomatoes moved from the greenhouse to the raised beds. It'll be time soon to pull the rest of the greens out of the beds and then there'll be more room for the rest of the seedling tomatoes. I've got to get the pots in front of the greenhouse ready for the peppers. But now, I need to go out now and get the lawn mowed.
Well a big pile in the gravel driveway and kerosene, but yes.

I bought a pack of large straw berries from the supermarket a while back and dried some seeds. I planted them a month ago and it sprouted...............They don't sell this large type of straw berries in my local nursery, I think they only sell small seascape straw berries, maybe because of my zone (Oahu). Anyway, this is the first time I am trying this, I hope they grow.

Also, this year I am trying a cucumber that only grows 5 feet. I usually grow the Japanese type, they fruit a lot at the beginning and then die off from fungal issues and powdery mildew. The seed packet label for the 5 foot cucumbers say abundant harvest, I hope I get to eat some.

I bought some fruit net bags from Amazon, It comes with a string that closes the bag. It worked great for large tomatoes, my tomatoes usually get attacked from fruit flies. This is the first time they made it to harvest.

I also used the string net bags to wrap up my Carrie mangoes. I use a wooden clothes pin to attach the string to the stem, so when the mango gets ripe and falls, it doesn't get bruised.

I also found out that I can make mango ice cream from whipping heavy whipping cream, sweet condensed milk and mango puree. Its the best way to preserve or freeze mangoes.

I have Carrie, Nam Dok Mai, Dwarf Haden, Rapoza, Alphonso, Orange Sherbet and R2E2 mango trees. But my Rapoza, Alphanso, Orange Sherbet and R2E2 are still in containers.

Last edited:
Roses are all blooming too.
They are gorgeous!!!
I also used the string net bags to wrap up my Carrie mangoes. I use a wooden clothes pin to attach the string to the stem, so when the mango gets ripe and falls, it doesn't get bruised.
My son-in-law has been growing a Mango tree here in Tennessee the past 3 years! He has babied that thing from a mere seed!!!
I'll have to share this with him whenever gets ready to start producing!

I bought a pack of large straw berries from the supermarket a while back and dried some seeds. I planted them a month ago and it sprouted...............They don't sell this large type of straw berries in my local nursery, I think they only sell small seascape straw berries, maybe because of my zone (Oahu). Anyway, this is the first time I am trying this, I hope they grow.

Also, this year I am trying a cucumber that only grows 5 feet. I usually grow the Japanese type, they fruit a lot at the beginning and then die off from fungal issues and powdery mildew. The seed packet label for the 5 foot cucumbers say abundant harvest, I hope I get to eat some.

I bought some fruit net bags from Amazon, It comes with a string that closes the bag. It worked great for large tomatoes, my tomatoes usually get attacked from fruit flies. This is the first time they made it to harvest.

I also found out that I can make mango ice cream from whipping heavy whipping cream, sweet condensed milk and mango puree. Its the best way to preserve or freeze mangoes.

I have Carrie, Nam Dok Mai, Dwarf Haden, Rapoza, Alphonso, Orange Sherbet and R2E2 mango trees. But my Rapoza, Alphanso, Orange Sherbet and R2E2 are still in containers.
Good luck, I hope your berries grow! Interesting way to make mango ice cream but it sounds delicious.

:oops: I have both of those and have never made compost tea with them. How do I do it? I also have LOTS of stinging nettle growing right now. I've read it's good for compost tea too, right? Or am I misremembering?
That's true, I hear stinging nettle it great as well. Get yourself a couple of 5 gallon buckets with screw tops, I got the tops from Amazon and the buckets from any hardware store. Fill the buckets to the top with your borage, comfrey, and or nettle. Stamp them down and keep adding to the buckets till you can't jam anymore in, then fill the bucket with water and screw the lid on. Not too tight or you'll probably have trouble getting it off again. Set the buckets in the sun for 2 weeks, then strain out the solids and put them in your compost pile, mix the liquid (it'll be really stinky) 1 liquid to 10 parts water. It's super mild, you can use it for every watering and seedlings do great on it.

Back
Top Bottom