What did you do in the garden today?

I'm proud of myself...I went out in the blistering heat (& humidity) and managed to get my raspberries all mulched with wood chips. I also mulched a couple of rose bushes, my pickling cucumbers, and a few other things that needed it. I *still* haven't added mulch to the cardboard yet in the main garden. Oh well, I'll get to it eventually....

I also used my new rose gloves to pull out all the wild raspberry brambles that were growing in my fence line in the backyard. This is a never ending chore but I like it cleared out so the dogs & I have a clear view of the Silkie pen. My dogs are kept in a fenced backyard which abuts the chicken yards. I can't trust my LGD not to kill the chickens but she does a great job of deterring critters away from the chicken yard from her own fenced yard. However, that only works if they can SEE her and she can SEE them.

Oh yeah....I feel like the Koolaid man. Except I need a shower.

No, but given the reference to a scary movie on a previous post...I feel completely annoyed that I apparently *DON'T* know where it came from....given that I like to consider myself a 'Scary Movie Snob.' :barnie
:gig The liver Hannibal Lecter ate was human, it’s from Silence of the Lambs. It’s creepy and Anthony Hopkins was excellent!

I really want to buy this banana tree...

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/ice-cream-banana-tree

I don't really have a good spot that gets morning sun but afternoon shade....
I have them, they are prolific. They grow over 10 feet tall. My chickens like to eat the leaf.

I also have a few dwarf banana trees that produces the long Chiquita bananas we see in the super market. I forget the name of it, I bought my trees off ebay. The plants were small, they fit in my mail box, but they grow fast and produce many side shoots. The dwarf variety are easier to manage. However, the bunch of bananas it produces are massive. I need to support the bunch of bananas or the tree will tilt over.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255534395540?hash=item3b7f097094:g:oXIAAOSwSgdifm8P

Last edited:
I decided to plant Chinese winter melon or wax gourd today. I kept a small one from my last harvest in my refrigerator and I just made chicken soup with it. I was surprised how long it can be stored. I really want to have this readily available through out the year.

I wish I could find their seeds here.

I plan to bury my old fridge with the door on the top and keep some veggies like potatoes, carrots, beetroots and pumpkins.

:sick

I grew up in the snow belt. I much much MUCH prefer the South.... Even with the heat & humidity. I asked my DH this past week if he wanted to move back home (up North)....he was also like "NO WAY! It's too friggin' cold up there."
I miss the north! I told my hubby I'd love to move to Alaska. Instead we moved to Arizona and stayed for the last 26 years...🤣😭😵‍💫

I wish I could find their seeds here.

I plan to bury my old fridge with the door on the top and keep some veggies like potatoes, carrots, beetroots and pumpkins.
I buy seeds from ebay every so often. However, the giant straw berry seeds I bought from two different venders did not produce fruit, so some of it are promotional gimicks, like the tomato tree. I am so gullible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165243180096?var=464800481914&hash=item267942d440:g:MP4AAOSwXpthwLqI

This year I've laid down cardboard. After much contemplating I've decided to top the cardboard with wood chips again, except for certain places (like the corn, yacon plants, and zucchini) where I'm using straw instead. I'm hoping the cardboard will keep any seeds from germinating
Last year that's what I did, and it turned out great. I could spend time caring for my plants instead of weeding. This year, the cardboard has broken down, but the few weeds that come up here and there, are easy to pull out. I'm just going to top off the walkways with another layer of wood chips. My unfinished areas will get the same cardboard+wood chips treatment again.
Almost done (procrastinating) and have most of my new raised garden beds in place and ready for fill.
Those look amazing, and your view is to die for!
Had a email from the local Poulty auction. They are closed for the month because of the bird flu.
Is your local the Chehalis auction? I wish the Enumclaw auction would do the same, they keep spreading around eggs, pullets, laying hens and roosters like there's no tomorrow.
Officially wetest May on record
Rain, rain, go away... my poor tomatoes, cabbages and luffas are more than ready to go outside, but it's been so wet, plus heavy winds this past week. This weekend we're supposed to finally get warmish and sunny weather, so my plan is to get them in the ground, direct-seed some melons and squash, level and fill, with mixed chips and compost, my new raised beds that have just been sitting out there taunting me.

I did get one major chore done this past week in the rain, picked up a trailer load of composted horse manure from the barn where my horses live. I'm annoyed that I used to get it for free when it was worth it for them to get rid of the manure pile, but under this new management, in this new more expensive world where everything horse-related is becoming unaffordable, I have to pay - geez, it's my own horses who produce it, and I already paid for the hay going in and the people who scoop it on its way out! Still, I'm trying to be patient about it, it was only $35 for a trailer load which is much cheaper than anywhere else, and the tractor had to pay so much more than in the past, for the diesel to drive around and load me up.
At least the compost is super good quality, full of healthy wriggling red worms. Hey, maybe I could get creative and make it pay for itself, by concentrating the worms and selling them! Aren't worm bins a trendy thing?

I told my hubby I'd love to move to Alaska.
Re: living in Alaska, I told DH, "No, no way, hell no, no fn way." If he wants to go, he may. Send me text messages every now and then.

I would go stark raving mad in the winter with the lack of sunlight. And the cold.

He said he'd build me a big green house... Still, no, no way, etc.

Back
Top Bottom