What did you do in the garden today?

picked up a trailer load of composted horse manure from the barn where my horses live. I'm annoyed that I used to get it for free when it was worth it for them to get rid of the manure pile, but under this new management, in this new more expensive world where everything horse-related is becoming unaffordable, I have to pay - geez, it's my own horses who produce it, and I already paid for the hay going in and the people who scoop it on its way out! Still, I'm trying to be patient about it, it was only $35 for a trailer load which is much cheaper than anywhere else, and the tractor had to pay so much more than in the past, for the diesel to drive around and load me up.
At least the compost is super good quality, full of healthy wriggling red worms. Hey, maybe I could get creative and make it pay for itself, by concentrating the worms and selling them! Aren't worm bins a trendy thing?
Worm bins and fishing bait?
I use horse manure too but our horses are on our property so the only cost is labor. If you have a riding stable anywhere near you...they might have free manure. Another option is to see if they'll let you have it free if you clean your horses stalls yourself. I let people have free manure if they come clean it up for me.

Good morning all. Had a migraine when I woke up. 2 hot showers on the massage setting helped. Watered in the dark and went out a few minutes ago to look at everything. More tomatoes on the biggest plant, the beans are ready to pick and there are more flowers on the plant, and one of the borage plants has little blue flowers all over it. The hibiscus has several flowers as well. The banana plant is growing new leaves so it’s pretty happy, and the second banana plant showed up yesterday. Still nothing from the apple tree, I’m going to contact Gurney’s and get a credit. Happy Friday all!

Well 2nd time seeding lavender has failed so I broke down and bought 2 from a local country market.
I also picked up a sweet mint. I was told my peppermint is not the same and would not help with all the critters sucking up the kale.
Is that accurate?
Will the sweet mint help?
Lavender is a tricky beast to get going.
As for the mint, I've NEVER had the wives tale of mint deterring critters, actually work.
In fact, I have a bag of horse treats, made with real mint oil, so strong you can smell it through the unopened bag, and the mice not only chewed into it, but ate half a bag full.

Potted up all the Moringa seedling yesterday, I didn't get to the peppers and herb yet.

I potted things up out of order making it harder - I have to remember to fill with dry soil around the start instead of soaking the soil before I put the start in big pot. Lived and learned.

Put 13 pepper starts and a lone eggplant in thre ground (the only one to sprout), plus 5 clumps of celery starts (pink & green). Two peppers left I didn’t have room for, will give to my FIL. First time trying to grow celery, fingers crossed, it looks good so far! Added marigolds and petunias to my greens bed to help with bug control. The flowers are my sacrificial lamb. Finally a neighbor bought cabbage and had a few extra starts so I squeezed them between my kale and onions. Supposed to get a light shower so took a break to eat lunch. Hope everyone has a great day!

Back
Top Bottom