What did you do in the garden today?

I planted 3 kinds of potatoes in later March. They have been happily growing above ground for about 3 weeks, I guess...maybe 4 weeks? And the one kind (a yellow spud named "Carola") is already producing blooms! Last year it was the first one to do so. They will love all the rain we are supposed to get for 3 days...but its not supposed to be excessive rain, but wind and possible hail.
View attachment 3123008
My potatoes produced seed pods last year. I may actually attempt them at some point.

I spy with my little eye....

A teeny little poblano pepper bud
20220525_182418.jpg

I just had a tussle with two hens... I have 4 hens who are sitting on eggs (in 3 nesting boxes) inside my goat house. The nesting boxes in there are leftover from the previous homeowner who kept his chickens and goats together in the same coop/house. Anyway, I noticed a day or two ago that 1 nesting box had a chick in it. That particular nesting box and the one next to it have been fought over by the same 3 hens. I've been checking on the chick a couple of times a day because I was concerned it would get squished in the tussle between the broodies (happened already once this spring). Anyway, the co-broodies decided to take the chick outside today for the first time. It's now dusk and I was making my usual rounds to make sure everyone was in. I noticed the chick was standing outside the goat house all alone and chirping pathetically. It was clear that the broodies had gone back inside but the chick was too small to jump up the step to get in. So I grabbed a minnow net with the intention of getting it back inside.....only to find myself being accosted by two angry biddies. 😂 I had to lock them inside the goat house. Their squawking brought the baby out from under the goat house (it's raised on pallets) which allowed me to scoop it up rather easily. I didn't dare open the door though....lol. There's a little crack on the back of the goat house where the siding has pulled away a little. I just haven't had time to fix it yet. Anyway, I stuffed the chick through that hole....lol. When I walked back around to the front, both broodies were "tending" to the traumatized chick in the corner. :rolleyes: I can't really make a ramp but maybe I can use some bricks to make smaller steps. Anyone know how high a day old chick can jump?

On a side note, I noticed the 3rd broody had two chicks under her today when I was collecting eggs.... That makes darn near 30 chicks so far this spring!
swoon.gif
My DH is gonna kill me.... Some of this chicks are DEFINITELY going to have to go....

Back
Top Bottom