What did you do in the garden today?

I'm new to country living but I think I have poison ivy in the spot I chose for the coop.

IMG_20220525_215820749.jpg

It is pouring buckets out there with some lightening. Garden will get a complete soaking.

Managed to get the rest of the tomatoes and peppers “mulched” with compost and top dressed with the straw earlier today. The straw is thoroughly wetted down now, but I did lightly hose it down earlier so any wind would not pick it up and blow it away.

Looks like rain for a lot of people today.

Thank you for your confirmation. Now I am not sure how to proceed.
Well, the good news is, it doesn't hurt chickens.

If you're as allergic as I am, you spray it with a very strong herbicide (glysophate is best. That's Roundup, or a generic version thereof) repeatedly, while thinking negative thoughts at it. I find the chant "Die, Die, Die" helps too.

Rake and pitchfork dead stuff in a hazmat suit, or an equivalent made from plant-proof clothes from goodwill. Burn or trash clothes. Bury or trash dead leaves. Don't burn them. That'll put it in the air. Rototill (or fork) area to kill roots.

Make sure you get it all. It does enjoy partial shade, so if you can eliminate some of that shade, that'll help. Then plant something that'll take up the space and crowd out any new encroaching shoots. A grass background will make any new poison ivy sprouts immediately obvious, though your chickens probably won't find it as interesting as the multi-plant hodgepodge that was there before.

Thank you for your confirmation. Now I am not sure how to proceed.
As @sylviethecochin noted, you will need to spray to kill, wait for it to die, which should be fairly quick. Then carefully remove. Bury or bag it … never into the compost or fire pit.

Call your county extension office if you want to talk the removal through, and what to watch out for etc.

You definitely want it to die thoroughly bc you do not want any to come up after you have the coop built and cannot get to it.

There is a product you can apply to your skin to keep the oils from absorbing into your skin (like “armor”), and then another product that is a soap specific to remove any oils from your skin. Tec-nu is the product name I believe and it is readily available. I’ll see if I can find a pic.

We have used Tecnu and it works!

It rained literally all day yesterday, going to be mid 60s today, 70s tomorrow and then humid and 80s for the weekend, bring on the weeds......ah I mean veggies, lol.

picking up rhubarb and maple syrup from a local farm over my lunch today. going to pull some weeds that I saw coming yesterday. Potatoes are looking amazing, have some green tomatoes and peppers are starting to form flowers. I am hoping for some early July potatoes for potato salad this year.

Enjoy the day all

It is pouring buckets out there with some lightening. Garden will get a complete soaking.

Managed to get the rest of the tomatoes and peppers “mulched” with compost and top dressed with the straw earlier today. The straw is thoroughly wetted down now, but I did lightly hose it down earlier so any wind would not pick it up and blow it away.

Looks like rain for a lot of people today.
Yep been pouring in TN all night ....wondering if the babies are gonna push their coop door open or need an invitation!
hazmat suit
You ain't just a joking!
We live in a subdivision that unfortunately was built on an old farm...well don't ya know the "100 year flood" made half our 2+ acres into a swamp that is now protected for a special kinda tadpole and for flooding purposes...so we named it the swamp!
I was walking my grandson in thr stroller last week on the paved road and moticed a limb hanging over the road. I didnt touch it or get near it but did walk under it like normal cuz i had to see how the blackberries were coming along.
welp...my neck blistered up on the back underneath where i had a tumor rremoved In January. Now my entire scalp has it and my ears! And my body itches like everywhere and im afraid to scratch for fear its that spreading! They called me in a steroid pack but cant tell its doin much. Ive been using calamine for days since i put two and two together and realized this is only thing it could be....a poison sumac tree!

We have used Tecnu and it works
Ugh wish I'd known bout this!
Reckon it would help after ya got it? Or only if you get into it then use it?

Rainy day here...and wouldn't ya know I just doused those new lavenders good yesterday! Lololol they gonna die!

Back
Top Bottom