What did you do in the garden today?

Beautiful morning! And it's my birthday.... Happy birthday to me. 😊😂

Looks like my baby's breath is sprouting! It's the one with 2 sprouts. I'm trying to grow both pink and white baby's breath. The other sprout is the San Marzano (3rd try for these)
View attachment 3125704

My sad, pathetic looking eggplant sprouts. Don't know what is eating them up. I'll spray them again with neem/insecticidal soap.
View attachment 3125707

Tomatoes, corn, zucchini, and beans are all doing well. Gotta spray tomatoes for aphids yet again though....
View attachment 3125708
View attachment 3125709

And lastly... I found this tree growing in my backyard fence last year. I thought it was a mulberry but now I'm not sure. Hardly ANY berries on it at all and they are super tiny. Not at all like the mulberry trees I remember as a kid. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? The tree seems to be made of a lot of smaller trees/limbs... Very similar to how a hazelnut tree grows. Nothing is over 6 ft tall so not a big tree, at least not yet.

View attachment 3125718
View attachment 3125720
Happy Birthday! 🎉

Harvested a quart ziploc full of Cilantro this morning:
IMG_2484.JPG

Wow...and I thought I went overboard with my 100 ft of single-row spuds. So does the 380 ft mean 190 ft of double rows, or 380 ft of double rows? And what was your spacing between rows?

Well, when you need to supply potatoes enough to last 11 people a year of eating... It take a LOT! I've been experimenting the last few years since I started growing them and found that 6-8 30ft rows aren't enough to last us through the winter.

I planted 380 linear feet total, so 6 sets of double rows plus the remaining partial row. I plant one 30 ft row, measure 20 ins away and plant another row, measure a 3ft walkway and then repeat the double rows. I found that I really need the walkway to be 3ft because the potato canopy plus the hilling of the rows takes up a lot of the walkway space. It works really well for me. Most of the annual weeds that make it through the potato canopy are pretty spindly and easy to pull out.

I did research on blossom end rot and discovered that if its not the calcium, or inconsistent watering, its the PH of the soil. If the PH is too high the plant can't take up nutrients. In my set and forget it Kratky lettuce buckets I always adjust my tap water to 6 with a teaspoon of citric acid, so I will start adding a tsp of citric acid to my 5 gallon water reservoir that feeds my five - 5 gallon tomato buckets.

I like the 5 gallon reservoir idea because I can add nutrients to the potted soil to supplement the fertilizer already in the soil and there is no waste from run off, unless it rains.

Every day in every way I get better and better. Today, I locked down the unique taste of my Chicken Gumbo. I make my strained chicken broth in advance with the basic celery, onion, garlic and store it in my refrigerator. I also keep a bag of pre cooked shrimp from Safeway in my freezer and restock it when ever it runs low. Gumbo is a staple for me since I raise my own vegetables and meat chickens.

The flavor enhancers I use are juice from 1 lime, juice from a handful of ripe cherry tomato, 1 Thai chili pepper, 2 peeled chopped tomatoes, quartered onion slices, TBS Asian mushroom season, TBS of salt. and about 2qt of unsalted chicken broth.

I add the okra, chopped roast chicken and pre cooked thawed shrimp at the end before serving.

I think anything goes with gumbo, I just added some peeled diced long egg plant, diced daikon and diced Purity brand Portuguese sausage. to my pot. I pan fried the diced sausage to take out the oil before using.

Last edited:
Every day in every way I get better and better. Today, I locked down the unique taste of my Chicken Gumbo. I make my strained chicken broth in advance with the basic celery, onion, garlic and store it in my refrigerator. I also keep a bag of pre cooked shrimp from Safeway in my freezer and restock it when ever it runs low. Gumbo is a staple for me since I raise my own vegetables and meat chickens.

The flavor enhancers I use are juice from 1 lime, juice from a handful of ripe cherry tomato, 1 Thai chili pepper, 2 peeled chopped tomatoes, quartered onion slices, TBS Asian mushroom season, TBS of salt. and about 2qt of unsalted chicken broth.

I add the okra, chopped cooked chicken and pre cooked thawed shrimp at the end before serving.
That sounds SO GOOD right now....

Back
Top Bottom