What did you do in the garden today?

Good evening all. I watered this morning but found one of the Carolina jessamines had died, the one in the xeriscape garden. It was a pain in the you know what anyway, I’m definitely happier with the one located near the shade garden. This weekend I’m contacting Gurneys about the apple tree and moving it out of the garden. I need another pot for another banana tree so I can transplant that and add some shade for the beach party lilac. We’re measuring to build a run for the chickens and it has to be done this summer before the southern migration begins. The sooner the better as far as I’m concerned. We’ve been discussing materials and design today, hopefully we have a solid plan but we need to go out and eye ball everything. Anyway, I’m sleepy and have an early start. Enjoy your Saturday!

Saw on Instagram...anyone cut their squash leaves?!
I knew I heard yall talking bout growin em vertically but didn't know if yall did this too.
And what do yall use to tie up your stuff? Twine? This person used some kinda green lookin tape?

I've cut up pantyhose and thin trouser socks. Also, I found a bag of these (polyester) in my kids craft area. I just cut them so I can tie them. They are soft and flexible. Since all these items (panyhose, trouser socks, and loops) are not cotton, they don't hold water.
Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 5.19.46 AM.png

oh....does anyone else think its odd that these loops for making potholders are polyester? My kids used some of the bag I have, but never for a potholder, I dont think.

I've used old pantyhose, but I like this idea, too. As a kid who made her mom so-many-too-many potholders on a plastic loom, this brings back memories.

My adventure in the garden involved determining what partial critter -- both headless and tailless -- was lying on the dirt. It looked like a little snake, until I spotted remnants of legs. It's only the second salamander I've seen this year, and the first one was much livelier.

I don't know whether to blame whatever grayish, furry creature I scared (and vice versa) in the barn (the woodchuck that was up by the deck? an opossum? a raccoon? We were both moving mighty fast when it ran out from under a pile of stuff) or the feral black cat that ran out of the hay shed yesterday.

I had been out checking on my tomato plants. The day before, I realized two of my plants were completely gone. Not a bit of leaf or stem remained; only the OWGF-type trellises marked where plants had been.

So, I made water jug greenhouses to protect the rest -- and went to town to buy more tomato plants. Happily, the plants were on sale so I bought three to replace the two. Apparently, I have Plant Math as well as Chicken Math.

Beautiful morning! And it's my birthday.... Happy birthday to me. 😊😂

Looks like my baby's breath is sprouting! It's the one with 2 sprouts. I'm trying to grow both pink and white baby's breath. The other sprout is the San Marzano (3rd try for these)
View attachment 3125704

My sad, pathetic looking eggplant sprouts. Don't know what is eating them up. I'll spray them again with neem/insecticidal soap.
View attachment 3125707

Tomatoes, corn, zucchini, and beans are all doing well. Gotta spray tomatoes for aphids yet again though....
View attachment 3125708
View attachment 3125709

And lastly... I found this tree growing in my backyard fence last year. I thought it was a mulberry but now I'm not sure. Hardly ANY berries on it at all and they are super tiny. Not at all like the mulberry trees I remember as a kid. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be? The tree seems to be made of a lot of smaller trees/limbs... Very similar to how a hazelnut tree grows. Nothing is over 6 ft tall so not a big tree, at least not yet.

View attachment 3125718
View attachment 3125720

happy birthday!

that is a mulberry tree. I bought one like that and you can imagine how disappointed I was. it had just a few tiny berries first 2-3 years. it has more berries now but they are tiny.

Every day in every way I get better and better. Today, I locked down the unique taste of my Chicken Gumbo. I make my strained chicken broth in advance with the basic celery, onion, garlic and store it in my refrigerator. I also keep a bag of pre cooked shrimp from Safeway in my freezer and restock it when ever it runs low. Gumbo is a staple for me since I raise my own vegetables and meat chickens.

The flavor enhancers I use are juice from 1 lime, juice from a handful of ripe cherry tomato, 1 Thai chili pepper, 2 peeled chopped tomatoes, quartered onion slices, TBS Asian mushroom season, TBS of salt. and about 2qt of unsalted chicken broth.

I add the okra, chopped roast chicken and pre cooked thawed shrimp at the end before serving.

I think anything goes with gumbo, I just added some peeled diced long egg plant, diced daikon and diced Purity brand Portuguese sausage. to my pot. I pan fried the diced sausage to take out the oil before using.

mercy, please! it is a beach time, we are supposed to loose some weight, lol.

Everybody is posting pics or growing cilantro, can we get a yucky face for the reaction. 🤮
I'm one of the fortunate few that it just tastes like soap too. Ruins soooo many restaurants for me.
Cilantro is growing here, but not a staple for us. You are not alone, though…I know many who find it soapy. Thankfully I do not, but I can imagine how it can ruin your dining experiences!

Good morning gardeners. Cilantro: I too used to have the soapy mouth reaction to it. I was watching a cooking show and the subject of cilantro came up. They said if you just eat enough of it your taste buds actually adjust to it. I now enjoy cilantro in my food. I’m just not sure where to grow it in the garden. But with any excess herbs, I break out the dehydrator and dry them for storage. I’ve not bought parsley, thyme, oregano, basil or sage for several years. I got my tomato cages set up this morning. I need to get quite a few more for the eggplants and peppers. There’s also a lot of weeding that needs to be done. Still chipping away at my Spring cleaning. Nearly finished with the outside. Still need to clean up the patio area and organize flowering plants. My citrus trees are residing on my screened in front porch where they can enjoy the summer without the wildlife. I have enough greens coming up in the garden now that I won’t be buying anymore for months. And all my acorn squash and summer squash are coming up and looking really good. I’m hopeful for a good harvest this year.

Back
Top Bottom