What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning all. The rabid grackles have been in my garden :rantThey’ve dug craters around the lemongrass and sugarcane, plus the comfrey so it’s quite obvious I’ll be using bird netting to protect the three sisters when I plant. I hate those damn birds. On a positive note, I let some of the artichokes open and there are bees all over the blooms:love I’ve got a bug or two in the shade garden attacking things so I’ll be spraying neem oil tonight, but there are a bunch of tomatoes on the biggest plant. They’re supposed to be sungold cherry but I think they’re romas instead. We went to get some lumber this morning, now hubs is building some barriers to put around the fruit trees. I’m afraid I’ll run them over with a hose and the wind blows the mulch around, I’m using straw, so the barriers should help in both regards. I definitely don’t have room to move the old bunny pen out to use as another garden. However, I think we could modify it and use it for compost bins without too much trouble. I even have a spot to put it. The tumblers will be emptied and that’s going into bulk trash in August, which gives me room to plant something there, maybe I’ll try moonflowers there. Hubs is paging me, time to go help. Have a great day.

Good morning gardeners. Cilantro: I too used to have the soapy mouth reaction to it. I was watching a cooking show and the subject of cilantro came up. They said if you just eat enough of it your taste buds actually adjust to it.
I have never heard of the possibility of getting used to it. I know it is caused by a genetics, normally found in those of northern decent. LIke how some people can smell cyanide, or those whole can smell asparagus in their pee after eating.

I have never heard of the possibility of getting used to it. I know it is caused by a genetics, normally found in those of northern decent. LIke how some people can smell cyanide, or those whole can smell asparagus in their pee after eating.
It’s been 3 or 4 years since I heard about it. It totally tasted like soap to me all of my adult life until this past year or two. I had been using it sparingly then increased the amount in dishes I prepared. It no longer tastes like soap to me. Give it a try. It doesn’t happen overnight but it wouldn’t hurt to try. I started using dried cilantro then progressed to fresh.

Can't stand the soapy thing.
Mowed early this morning as I noticed the next acreage is setting up for a wedding. They didn't send out notices or anything. So I'm glad I caught it. I don't usually mow until afternoon/evening.
Tomato sales have been slow, but I've broken even on materials costs, so all is not lost.
The battle of the biting flies is on.
I'm almost out of last year's stash of spray for the alpacas.
Garden is poking along. NOthing in the ground yet, we have severe weather to juggle here this weekend and into monday. They can wait.

I'm finally starting to see these evil SOBs (Squash Vine Borer Moths) flitting around the garden, so it's time to engage in some biological warfare and carpet bomb everything with BT. Then it's off to a local brewery with our son and his dog, because...why not?

squash-vine-borer-melittia-cucurbitae.jpg

I'm finally starting to see these evil SOBs (Squash Vine Borer Moths) flitting around the garden, so it's time to engage in some biological warfare and carpet bomb everything with BT. Then it's off to a local brewery with our son and his dog, because...why not?

squash-vine-borer-melittia-cucurbitae.jpg
Watch the bottom of your plants by the roots. If you see sawdust holes around any of them, you’ll have to slice a line all the way up the stem until you find a maggot-like caterpillar. KILL IT if you find one.

I’m soaked, covered in straw dust and finally done for today. The lilac will have shade during the hottest part of the day
EF29A155-8601-4039-9383-0DD582CD4717.jpeg

Fruit trees are framed and mulched. Whoever mentioned that they use about six inches of straw thank you! I’m trying that for the full sun areas this summer. At the far end by the shade garden I added shade for the Carolina jessamine and put down some compost for it. Pulled a few weeds, had to dig out a few too. Watered the compost pile also.
86E12683-37A6-41E7-91CC-CF7BCF01421B.jpeg

I did a lot of string trimming today. Still more to do but it's a little neater, anyway. I put another 6 big bags of coffee grounds on the blueberry bed.

The little plants aren't so little anymore! Unless they're peppers. Those are still puny. Most of the 'maters are looking good, the squash and basil are looking great.

The beets, broccoli, and broccolini I planted by onions in raised beds did nada. I bet a vole just went down the line and had a nice meal.

The cherries aren't making any cherries. None. I didn't see many bees, but a neighbor's apple tree has some baby apples growing, so they got pollinated. Since the cherries are 2 and 3 years old, maybe the trees think they're just too young to be having babies...? Too bad, as this is the first year they had blossoms at all.

All I’ve done is errands today. The last day of the season for a local greenhouse, so I bought discounted marigolds and flowers to plant throughout the garden and yard. Then off to get feed, then to another store to browse and purchase some needed items. Then picked up female teen child to go clothes shopping ……..:)mad::tongue:lau:rant:hit:duc:cool: Pretty much Sums up the experience).

I should go out to plant some flowers, but this chair is comfortable and the room is quiet and no one’s complaining here atm.

But, tomorrow we mow, and plant

Back
Top Bottom