What did you do in the garden today?

Well...I've killed all my apricots so not sure my advice is worth squat here, but i did notice that the apricots seem to do better with sprinkler watering rather then flood or soakers. My nectarines were the same. As long as I was willing to use a sprinkler they thrived. They only handled flood watering or soaker hoses if it was used rarely.
I know most people here use flood or soakers because of the evaporation (I do to), but I don't think most fruit trees handle that well.
I think planting them in September also helps. That gives them some time to get established before the horrid heat sets in.
Yeah it would be much better to plant in fall, but it’s really hard to find trees then. The big box stores carry varieties that do fine here but sell them in Spring which not the best planting time. I debated long and hard with myself about whether to transport not, but with the heat in summer here I figured it was their best chance to survive. The nursery pots weren’t going to work for six months until the weather cooled off.

You can plant Spring trees in a slightly larger pot in a large mulch pile and keep watered until Fall for planting in soil. You have to keep up on the fertilizing all summer (and it won't work in the desert) but it works here. They don't sell as many varieties here in the fall, which is the best time to plant here, so I buy in the spring and baby things until fall.

Aaaaand...I just found several of these hiding under the enormous leaves of their parent plants. Spaghetti squash.
20220612_130620.jpg

I have a line on each system that goes into a gauge and that shows how much is being put out.
Ditto. I put a digital flow meter on the detatched garage hose bibb that feeds my drip irrigation system. So not only do I know exactly how much water has gone to the garden, I can tell from the rate of flow when it's time to clean out the filter in my drip pressure regulator. It's handy to have that information right there at the hose bibb because the pressure regulator is ~200 ft away from the garage.

I think a lot of the soaker problem is people don't know how much or how little they're watering. I have a line on each system that goes into a gauge and that shows how much is being put out. I also soil moisture test just past the drip line.1 inch a week in normal weather. 2 a week in hotter/drier times. Each head is also adjustable depending on the plant/tree needs. People forget you aren't just watering the plant but the soil around the plant. If you are only watering around the plant the bone dry soil around the wet soaks up a huge amount of the moisture, so your plant/tree isn't getting as much as you think it is. Add any sloping to that equation and you again have to adjust what you are putting in the ground.
=======
Steamy, foggy, thundery 74 degrees early this morning, so I went out and pruned, tied, and watered the tomatoes. I have reached the point when pulling and hoe-ing weeds/grass in the garden only makes them angrier, so the spray will come out in the morning and will only be used far from plants.
The mulch I put down a few weeks ago has already gone due to rot from the bag. This is ridiculous.
I need more mulch and more fertilizer on the next trip to town.
Drove past some Mennonite kitchen gardens yesterday. HUGE gorgeous things.
I really have no idea how much water the plants are getting, but I’ve watered the plants and the soil. I need to know how much pressure the line is putting out so I can figure out what exactly is going on.

Back
Top Bottom