What did you do in the garden today?

That depends on state rules. In order for me to sell eggs from my flock in AZ I have to be registered with the state, my eggs must be unwashed but stored in the fridge, and I can’t claim they’re organic or free range; the carton MUST. say “nest run” and I can’t reuse cartons from the store.
We aren't allowed to reuse cartons either. Even cartons we buy.... One time use only. Of course, everyone does it anyway... That's another thing the inspectors pretend they don't notice...

That depends on state rules. In order for me to sell eggs from my flock in AZ I have to be registered with the state, my eggs must be unwashed but stored in the fridge, and I can’t claim they’re organic or free range; the carton MUST. say “nest run” and I can’t reuse cartons from the store.
Yes every state has different regs it seems -especially for eggs. Main reason I say let's develop our grapevine networks. If a neighbor or friend of a friend is in need we should be able to help each other. Those relationships could be more valuable than whatever official "help" is doled out. If you can't afford to drive to get a food box, you might walk to the fence and get fresh food offered by a neighbor.

My Butternut squash (Rogosa Violina Gioia) has a terrible case of acne. (These things are enormous, btw).
20220630_070417.jpg

Yesterday I planted a 4'x35' patch of peanuts. A legume, they should help with the fertility of the soil in the future and give me something to eat in the process. And maybe prevent some weeds sprouting.

Went out to the garden this morning to see what I needed to do in the garden today and found the possums/dillos have dug all the mulch from under the whole 35' row of long beans and disturbed the soaker hose I had buried there under the mulch. Had to fix that. With the summer being so dry here, I guess the garden/flower beds are the only place they can find moist soil and worms/grubs, their preferred meal. I've tried trapping them and so far have disposed 2 possums and a raccoon. More keep taking their place though.

The weather people have been promising rain since Friday due to a low pressure area just off the coast and a "cool front" coming from the north .
So far there has only been a few little 5 minute sprinkles and that dries up quickly. But it has been cloudy all morning and cool, and tomorrow they say we have an 80% chance of rain. The biggest chance in a long time. Keepin my fingers crossed!
Thank you for mentioning this... I've been trying to figure out what cover crops to plant that I would find useful in their own right.... Having horses, goats, and a buns, I would love to plant alfalfa but it's just too hot here for it. I do mix it in my pasture when I seed cool weather grasses though. Anyway, I'm going to try my hand at fava beans, mostly for fodder because DH isn't a big bean fan. Peanuts would be a great alternative and we would definitely eat them! 😊

Up potted two figs and a raspberry from solo cups to 1 gallon. All the roots look good after two months here. Of my 4 loquat grafts, one is pushing, one scion still looks alive and two are dead. But any at all means it was a success!

Found some asparagus bean seeds I apparently bought before leaving Cali so I planted a few in the garden. Also started some chard, sorrel and mustard.. probably too early for fall but I need greens for the quail even if they bolt. Two days in a row I've heard a couple egg songs but no eggs yet. Maybe today?
What is everyones opinion on using Sluggo? Dont? Only on the yard/pathways? EVERYWHERE? I have been hand picking and beer trapping and hardly made a dent in the slug + snail population. Does it harm little toads? I have a bunch of baby toads in my garden right now. Cute little things.
Ducks unfortunately are not on the books this year. I may get lucky and sneak some in later this year, but that wont fly at the moment.
Everywhere including the garden. It's organic, iron phosphate. Only harmful to mollusks.

Organic and Free Range have specific USDA designations, doesn't seem right for the state to decide you can't raise your birds that way and sell them as such!

And what the heck is "nest run"?

I don't think she has to sign the paper that the applicant needs to prove they applied for a job and were denied. WAY back, 30 years ago, the father/son carpenters working on our house would have people come by wanting to apply and get a signature for a job they clearly had no skills for. Dale just told them to push off. He wasn't looking for help anyway, he and Wes worked alone. Got there at 6:30 AM, had their coffee and donuts, on the job at 7 and worked all day with a short lunch break.

Seems like it would be easier to work than work so hard at making sure they don't get hired so they can get unemployment .... at a much lower weekly amount than they would get if they worked.
Unwashed, refrigerated eggs from a backyard flock I guess.

Honestly I don't trust ANY news from any source anymore. They all have a hidden agenda. They all spin "evidence" to fit whatever narrative they want people to embrace. But what I do trust is seeing what is happening in my local level community. It's alarming when the biggest food bank in the area is empty. That's real. That's not spin... And when the manager tells you in distress that they have more people requesting food than ever before and they have to turn people away...thats real. I don't care what anyone's politics are....I can't in good conscience watch people starve when I have means via eggs, produce, and even chicken meat (when I get around to butchering).
I don’t think what my own eyes see when I go shopping is fake, but the reasons and such that the news gives may or not be. My husband is a commercial truck driving instructor/tester. The feds have it rather difficult for newbies to get a license. Even for the teachers to get a license to instruct! Plus they are made to teach maneuvers that will never be used in a commercial truck. So the maroons in charge have no clue, MSM feeds the public their kool aid.

Funny little story. TWO years ago i tossed a rotting pumpkin in to my compost. This spring i built a succulent garden in out front yard. Then all of the sudden we have 9 sprouted pumpking plants with all my succulents. lol. I have not idea what pumpkin this came from but we harvested our first little pumpkin today. lol Looks like its one of those pumpkins for baking.

Attachments

• 289813323_554790312814832_4869520121192396089_n.jpg
    289813323_554790312814832_4869520121192396089_n.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
I tried to grow them one year and ate a couple of the leaves. Bleah. Tough and fuzzy is how I'd describe them. Maybe they'd be ok cooked, but I didn't try it.
I use sweet potato leaves and/or Ung Choi in stir fry with pork, salted tiny shrimp or shrimp paste, and garlic., they taste similar to water spinach or Ung Choi. Another way is to stir fry it with a sauce and serve it as a side dish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom