What did you do in the garden today?

Congrats @karenerwin! Her dress is beautiful!

We finally got a wittal bitta rain...and I do mean a wittal bit!
Went down to give electrolytes to babies and saw 3 onions stems all dead and poking up outta soil...not very big at all but hey my first time ever growing anything like that! So I'll take it!
Um....so now what do I do with em!? Lol
Do I just let em air dry? Or what?
I've seen where yall hang up garlic...but what u do with onions? They are just yellow ones.
I lay mine out on a rack to dry with the fans going. When dry I trim them all up & they go in net bags. Garlic I hang.

Morning all. We had squash & green beans from the garden last night. It's so nice feeding myself again. I thinned the rutabaga. I was going to pull the garlic but it rained yesterday so I may wait a bit. I tied up a spaghetti squash by the stem, it's getting huge, but I'll have to tie it up with an old t shirt I think, it's getting so heavy.

The jalapeno strawberry jam seems to have firmed up nicely. I'll open one later to check though.

Congratulations @karenerwin !!!

Today, we will water - the ground is Sooooo dry! We are running the sprinkler and hand watering everywhere. Good thing the garden is near water and we are on a well. But, Rain is likely coming!!! I’m sure the farmers are happy about that. Around 1.5” over 4 days. I really hope it does rain each day.
85F7FD80-CB18-4AEA-8190-C560F58BF3DF.jpeg

The egg salad for dinner was tasty! It had been awhile since we’ve had egg salad.

Now, off to water everything, and let out chickens.

Posted this in the harvest thread also.

Anyone know what this is? It is hanging on the leaf of one of my potatoes. Looks like a tomato. Definitely off of a potato leaf…

View attachment 3167830
It's a potato seed/berry...its decently poisonous if consumed but instead of growing clones from seed potatoes that will grow a whole new plant if you plant it

@Gammas Bearded Babies
I only water my blueberries is we are getting "crunchy" out and it's harvest time. They're extremely resilient plants but a telltale sign you should water is if the berries are just wrinkling away to nothing (this is year 2 and older). Also if you are watering too much the berries have no flavor and split.
Yeah the branch by branch have all turned brown, then what little berries there were have swiveled up to nothing.
I think it had to have been the utilities digging up on each side and between em both.
Wont ever put nothing there again! Duh

Yeah the branch by branch have all turned brown, then what little berries there were have swiveled up to nothing.
I think it had to have been the utilities digging up on each side and between em both.
Wont ever put nothing there again! Duh
Do you have a good place you could move them to? I think if you trimmed them back and moved them you could have berries next year. They should be in a grow cycle after berry time so they might grow back better. Utility folks dug up my ditch this week (there was a leak thankfully on their side and not my house side) all of the wild flowers I plant there were destroyed...I hope they will come back again next year but utility work does just wreak havoc sometimes

Do you have a good place you could move them to? I think if you trimmed them back and moved them you could have berries next year. They should be in a grow cycle after berry time so they might grow back better. Utility folks dug up my ditch this week (there was a leak thankfully on their side and not my house side) all of the wild flowers I plant there were destroyed...I hope they will come back again next year but utility work does just wreak havoc sometimes
You think it'd be worth trying? We are in a drought and 90-100s.
DH will be irrate if I have him dig new holes and they don't make it lol.
Or guess I could put em in large pots and cut em back to see what happens.

You think it'd be worth trying? We are in a drought and 90-100s.
DH will be irrate if I have him dig new holes and they don't make it lol.
Lol!yeah my dh would be livid too! Hmm with a drought like that I would just dust them from my hands and try again next year. Weather like probably would stress them just a tad too much.

You could try the pots!it could let them recover and then there wouldn't be any hole digging 🤣

Last edited:
Yea it sounds a little hot/late to move them.

We're off to pick up 6 tons of pellets (4 for us, 2 for my sis). We decided with oil at $5.25 a gallon now, it's probably going to be even more insane come fall so we're gonna heat strictly with pellets this winter. We heat the shop with pellets anyway, so it'll be easy to heat the house with them too. I'm only excited because I get to rearrange the living room so the stove can come back inside. :gig I love to rearrange. :yesss: & in case I didn't mention it, I love having a dishwasher too!

Back
Top Bottom