What did you do in the garden today?

So, then I googled it & it seems that the eggs only take 1-3 days to hatch. That doesn't leave the hornworm much time to do any real damage.
How big does the caterpillar have to be for the wasp to lay eggs? Any time I've seen pictures of it they were great big suckers. They don't get that size from eating air. A bunch of little ones can do serious damage overnight.

Asparagus bean
Never heard of this!

I think I want to put a whole mess of broccoli in the garlic bed once they get pulled. What is the best way to start broccoli in the summer? Can I start them outside in partial sun? Should I put them in the plastic greenhouse and leave the sides open?
From plants or seed? I can't imagine you could start from seed and get anything unless maybe they are in the greenhouse.

My friend picked about 1 1/2 cups of blackberries from one area on my property, and her dd ate them all before I could think about what to do with them. I wasn’t expecting them so soon! I picked a few more just to eat them myself. :lol: We took the LO out for a while, and upon returning, she went to run with my dog, and found the wild strawberries near more ripe blackberries. I’m never going to get to make anything if this child doesn’t stop finding the ripe fruit!

20220705_205926.jpg 20220705_210150.jpg
☹️

A July 4th dinner a day late, because we wanted to wait until out granddaughter was here for her weekly sleepover. I forgot to take pics before the meal so here are the leftovers. Two types of sweet corn from the garden (Peachs & Cream, Silver King).
20220705_204756.jpg

Adirondack Blue potatoes from the garden.
20220705_204747.jpg

Ribeyes (not from the garden).
20220705_204800.jpg

And for dessert, a Sugar Baby watermelon...from the garden.
20220705_210729.jpg

'Murica.

Last edited:
My friend picked about 1 1/2 cups of blackberries from one area on my property, and her dd ate them all before I could think about what to do with them. I wasn’t expecting them so soon! I picked a few more just to eat them myself. :lol: We took the LO out for a while, and upon returning, she went to run with my dog, and found the wild strawberries near more ripe blackberries. I’m never going to get to make anything if this child doesn’t stop finding the ripe fruit!
Isn't there a spray for that?? LOL ::Kidding::

I'm very unhappy with my sweet corn. This is the first year we've actually been able to harvest some. Deer, coons, and worms got it all before...

Anyway I planted Fishers Earliest and Peaches & Cream varieties. Anyway, I harvested about 8 ears yesterday to eat for dinner. No worms. Looked very plump and juicy... Until we bit into it. It was really mushy and had absolutely no taste. Not any hint of sweetness at all! I was terribly disappointed.

Did we wait too long to harvest? I waited for the silks to dry up because I thought that's what you were supposed to do. If the rest is like this batch, it'll end up as chicken fodder.

So bummed... Anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Most home gardeners don't put down enough nitrogen on their corn. Corn is a HUGE nitrogen suck. Without it, corn doesn't grow properly, set right, or taste up to snuff.

The other common reason is waiting too long after picking until cooking, but honestly, I've only ever noticed a problem when you are talking a few days between picking and cooking.

Back
Top Bottom