What did you do in the garden today?

Planted an indeterminate and a determinate last week for fall. Started them inside end of June/early July.

I'm not getting them to survive the summer unless I bring them inside and inside I just don't have enough light to keep them fruiting well. They just start to produce good tomatoes and the heat or the cold kicks in and they die. I grew up in Washington and not sure if I need to adjust my harvest expectations (glorified kid memories?...nah...my dad's garden was AMAZING 😍) or if I'm missing a trick to get a longer harvest time.

I'm in Tucson. AZ worm farm sounds fun...I'll have to look and see what we have local.
Grow light?

Welp I now know why I have minimal cucumbers...mouse! A big one! I didn't find this out on my own nope! My rooster Rosie(named so because of his comb) was being nosy in the garden while I set up my other big pumpkin. Suddenly a squawk and a tussel. Mouse 0 Rosie 1. He redeemed himself today after standing at the backdoor crowing...he just learned and is super proud. No one else is impressed lol

Last edited:
Planted an indeterminate and a determinate last week for fall. Started them inside end of June/early July.

I'm not getting them to survive the summer unless I bring them inside and inside I just don't have enough light to keep them fruiting well. They just start to produce good tomatoes and the heat or the cold kicks in and they die. I grew up in Washington and not sure if I need to adjust my harvest expectations (glorified kid memories?...nah...my dad's garden was AMAZING 😍) or if I'm missing a trick to get a longer harvest time.

I'm in Tucson. AZ worm farm sounds fun...I'll have to look and see what we have local.
I have the same problem with my garden expectations. My mom had an awesome garden in Indiana(I guess one in Washington too but I was a baby) and we got so much from it! I just want tomatoes lol! I'll keep mine out till probably November of the winter is light might get a dozen. Next year though I will be armed for tomatoes

I took a nap and it rained, go figure. Well, more correctly, it SPRINKLED. It was enough to barely wet the ground where there was no cover. Covered areas like under trees, cars, etc are all still bone dry. Might be something helpful for the pasture grass but not substantial enough for the garden or even the seeds I just planted. They are still calling for trace amounts of rain tomorrow and Wednesday. We'll see. I went ahead and watered in the seeds in the 5 gallon buckets. I will water the garden tomorrow morning.

The red onions were picked awhile ago. But, now thoroughly cured in the barn. I snipped off dried tops and dried roots, and any really papery outsides. Brought them inside. Plan to can some red onions in red wine vinegar. We got a decent harvest! I’ll work on the white and yellows tomorrow.

Got rid of the white rocks today. The rest were butchered…so much quieter now.

Attachments

• 64499338-55F2-4EB0-8C03-72A9D6314978.jpeg
    64499338-55F2-4EB0-8C03-72A9D6314978.jpeg
    690.8 KB · Views: 1
INstead of pumpkin, do cushaw or boston marrow squash, that's what is in those cans. The size of a well tended cushaw will stagger your brain! My last one was 3 feet long and 9 inches across at the top and 14 at the bottom, shaped like a schmoo. HUGE amount of fruit in that beastie.

My cushaw seeds were duds this year. I refuse to take credit for the tiny squash I got, lol! In the past they tasted better too. Definitely the seeds fault.

I have HUNDREDS of jars, but you need those darn single use lids (tattler lids do not work for me at all - I have them too)

For a bit jars were $11 a dozen (about) and lids were a box of 12 for $8 (now they're 4-5 (Used to be 3.99). So my brain said it was better to buy the jars with the lids. The lids were failing in the boxes, but not the ones that came with the jars.

Single use, shmingle use. You can use them until the edges are noticeably bent-up--we did all the time when I was a kid, and they did not seal nearly as badly as the agricultural department and Ball marketing would imply.
Tattler lids have a trick to them--finger-tip-tight, then turn back a quarter turn and load the canner. After they come out of the canner, wait five-eight minutes, and then gently tighten the rings. We get much better seal rates since someone actually read the instructions. They still work better in the boiling water bath canner than they do in the pressure canner, and I prefer to use them on stuff you can re-cook (like syrup, jelly, applesauce), but they do work.
And, of course, you know those glass jars you buy things like spaghetti sauce in? Yeah. Those metal lids will re-seal, with very good rates.

My mother is a cheapskate, and I am her disciple.

Back
Top Bottom