What did you do in the garden today?

Tomorrow I'll walk the garden and pick anything orange to red and turn on the irrigation system for the garden and orchard.
Then I'll see if I have enough red tomatoes to do a puree batch.
We've been too hot to ripen tomatoes, but the green ones are still growing and maturing. As soon as we drop to the 80s during the day this week, we should go gangbusters!

Please tell me where you read or learned sugar killed bees?(genuinely curious not being snarky)

I've been a beekeeper since I was 10 have never had a hive die due to sugar consumption. Also I would never give wormwood(bee toxic) or lemon balm(used with lemon grass it attracts swarms very well). Wintergreen in the sugar water is very good to keep away tracheal mites and the mint smell keeps out spiders

my mother had bees for years. she made that syrup with sugar, mint, lemon balm and wormwood (I don't know how much of it). bees do not die instantly but live less when eat sugar for a prolonged period.

We do have dogs but don't feed them people food. Our Husky-Great Pyrenees mix has an issue with resource guarding and will snap/attack our smaller dog to take his food or treats. This is extremely exacerbated when people food is involved so we just don't do it anymore. They only get dog food and dog treats. Even then I have to feed them at least 10-15 ft apart. The smaller dog is actually fed in a crate so she can't get to him.

I have 2 german shepherds, mother (4 yo) and daughter (2yo). I feed them 30 ft apart otherwise mother dog would harm her daughter for any food.

Need to cut the weeds down around the beehives.
Note to self: Bees get VERY pissy on rainy days, you KNOW THIS AARON !!!

Do not work around bees without a veil, especially if it's a rainy day out !!

Was doing some weeding yesterday between rain showers. Weeds come out a lot easier when it's wet. Didn't want to go thru the hassles of suiting up. (My lazy ass COULD have just put a veil on w/o the suit, but that's another topic)

Naah, im not bothering them, it'll be fine.
Did I mention that bees get pissy in the rain?

Bam, got me in the eye. right on the eyelid. I got inside and put alcohol on it right away, and did not see a stinger in there so was ok. It only hurt for about 20 minutes afterwards, then was just a bit tender.

Fast forward to this morning. Wake up, my vision is blurry and my eyelids feel heavy, like I got sleep gluing it shut or something. That happens sometimes, you know how it goes. Umm no, although it does not hurt, my eye has swollen shut from the sting.
If you have bees, there is no such thing as a safe 'quick peek', or safe 'ill just hop in and hop out'... Veil up, ALWAYS, or risk this happening or even permanent blinding if they get you IN the eyeball

I must warn ya'all right now, I got an ugly mug. My picture should be on the back of poison bottles to help induce yacking incase of accidental drinking. If you ate within the last week and want to keep yer meal, don't look at this mug shot :p

and remember no matter how bad your day is going, someone can be doing worse.
Bee happy with what ya got ! and safety first ALWAYS !! even while simple gardening !

Aaron

Attachments

• Bee BOO BOO.jpg
    Bee BOO BOO.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1
@Ascholten oh my gosh, that looks like a not so good time for sure! Hopefully it doesn't hurt much if at all. Do you have a patch, looks like a good day to become a pirate! Lol

Not much in the garden yesterday, picked some green beans and carrots. Carrots were a check to see where they are at. 2 I picked were over 6 inches so that is good!

As soon as my fall seeds come I will be planting another round of carrots and lettuce and spinach. That is about it foe this year, I have too much else on my plate right now.

😱 Try putting some crushed ( rub until the juice comes out) narrow leaf plantain on it
I don't have any of that here, and being sunday doubt any shops are open that I could get it from. It doesn't hurt thankfully so will probably just wait for the swelling to go down on it's own and hopefully that is not days later.

Odd thing is, it got me in the eye brow line, and while I searched very thorough, (i think) I am pretty sure there is no stinger, I mean if there was any left I'd feel it right? But the cockatoo, he's all interested in my eye brow now and wants to pick at it. he's VERY GOOD at grooming, if you got a scab or something that don't belong he'll find it and yank it right off ! .. its more than just a curiosity with him at this point, and now im like, ok Paco, what do you see up there? he hasn't nibbled anything out but keeps like kissing it and wanting to play with my eye brow. What do you see that I don't?, quit being a pest !

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom