What did you do in the garden today?

We'll eat some fresh once they're done ripening and can a bunch of slices as well. I may try freeze drying some because my freeze dryer is supposed to be here next week!!! :ya
I would love feedback on the freeze dryer! I want one in the worst way so I’m green with envy.

All nest boxes occupied this morning, including the space behind the bag of straw on top of the nest boxes.

View attachment 3227089
I love that pic!

I have an EE that looks like yours. She lays the prettiest torpedo shaped blue/gray eggs & her hackle feathers have recently looked like she got a body wave (dating myself with that term, lol). I adore Sukie, she's named after Michelle Pfeiffers character in Witches of Eastwick. LOL. Waaay too much info. :gig

Attachments

• IMG_20220223_072502998.jpg
    IMG_20220223_072502998.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 1
Update on the asparagus beans.. they do indeed taste like asparagus. Not stringy at all! No idea why I've never thought to grow them before but they are a keeper. I could never keep normal green beans going during the summer in Cali but these would have worked, it's been 90+ every day and they are taking it in stride.
beans2.png
beans1.png

I have about 4-5 spaghetti squash after hand pollinating. Wasn't sure they'd set with how wet it is in the mornings when the flowers open, but no problem.
spag.png

I didn't know they actually tasted like asparagus, I thought they just looked like it. LOL I wouldn't have brought them. Ick.

I pulled 2 bean plants & 5 cucumbers. Summer is winding down I guess. Disappointed in the beans this year, too hot & not enough rain. I only got 2 gallons put up & no dilly beans. Just as well, the purple beans turn the jars pink. :gig I may buy some beans tmrw & make some dillys - I give a few away as gifts & I love to can the little cut offs that didn't fit & put them on salads - I do them in half pints.

I didn't know they actually tasted like asparagus, I thought they just looked like it. LOL I wouldn't have brought them. Ick.

I pulled 2 bean plants & 5 cucumbers. Summer is winding down I guess. Disappointed in the beans this year, too hot & not enough rain. I only got 2 gallons put up & no dilly beans. Just as well, the purple beans turn the jars pink. :gig I may buy some beans tmrw & make some dillys - I give a few away as gifts & I love to can the little cut offs that didn't fit & put them on salads - I do them in half pints.
never heard of them, must try them next year!

Morning all, the pickling cucumbers are starting to scare me. I pick all I can find every day and the next day there are sooooo many more. I was just going to make bread & butter pickles but now I'll make dill slices too. I seriously had no idea how much they'd produce. Maybe try them for Japanese cucumber salad too, I assume they're fine for regular cucumber recipes, just kinda short.

Drum rollllllll My first ripe tomato!
20220818_092526.jpg

Very cat faced but don't care :drool.

DP and I were working cleaning up the side fence, specifically around a big fennel plant that had grass grown up around it. It was frail at one time so there was a big garden stake and a spare tomato cage around it. So we'd removed everything but the fennel and the one stake and suddenly DP notices this:
20220817_154928.jpg

It's attached to the stake that DP had bumped multiple times. Very laid back for yellow jackets. I'm allergic to stings so last night we bagged it up and stake and all it went in the freezer. I always figured we'd have them show up sooner or later, glad they weren't in the ground instead, much harder to deal with.

And here's a couple of DP's sunflowers. A mammoth.
20220815_154755.jpg

And I think this one's a Mahogany:
20220815_154738.jpg

Have a great day all!

Back
Top Bottom