What did you do in the garden today?

Y'all this morning was magic, lol. I didn't get out until 10, when the baby napped for two hours straight! I got to spend an hour total outside working in the garden. It was naturally broken up by popping in the door every couple of minutes, to see if baby was waking up yet. I got most of the fall seeds planted, I have a small handful of others I still want to plant but finally got too warm and my back too unhappy from bending over.

Planted out buttercrunch lettuce, mizuna, radish, carrots, mustard greens (experiment), kale, spinach, collards (experiment), cabbage (experiment), and what else? I'll have to look again later, lol.

I also got to pull up a couple of amaranth and toss them to the chickens, and I weeded a bit. Not as much as I wanted, but I was getting sore at that point and DS was beginning to not sit predictably still in one place anymore.

And I baked up a loaf of sourdough. It doesn't have much sour flavor, so I'll need to continue to experiment, but it tastes really good regardless.

This might not be of any help, but last year we bought my mother a peach tree for Mother’s Day. After a while it developed something like that. It was super gooey and sappy. It eventually started to kill the tree. It’s called peach gummosis I believe. There is a way to fix it too I think, I forget what it is. I would search the internet to find out if yours is able to be fixed.
(Also I’m not 100% sure that’s what yours is but it looks a lot like what mine looked like)
It is definitely helpful... And since I don't know which one it is (or both), here's what I'm doing...

I took a sharp knife and cut out all the diseased tissue. Now only healthy tissue is exposed (I think). I slathered the healthy tissue really well with neem oil. I'm going to let it dry... Then treat the area with copper sulfate (Bordeaux mix). Let it stay there overnight... Then tomorrow I will use a latex paint to cover the wound and hopefully seal the area. Then watch it closely to see if it reappears.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited:
Good afternoon gardeners. It’s been a couple of busy days. No rain still. I canned my first batch of cherry tomato and corn salsa the day before yesterday. Yesterday I had to drive to Boston for a medical appointment. Also Monday the guy came to clean my pellet stove for the season. Good golly that took two hours. The peas I planted last week are already coming up and are between 1 to 1 1/2 inch tall. The turnips are growing well and the radishes and lettuce are coming up now. I watered the big garden and everything else in the backyard this morning and watered the fruit trees and pepper plants in the front a little while ago. My San Marzano and Better Boy tomatoes are finally starting to ripen. I picked a BB the other day. I pick them before they are fully red because as soon as they turn red the freeloaders come out of the woods. I have a dwarf freestone peach tree that self pollinates @Sueby. I would love a pear tree but I’ve not found a small one that doesn’t need a companion. I still have nearly 10 pounds of peaches from last year’s harvest in the freezer. So one small tree produces a lot. My acorn squash finally looks like it might produce something. I saw this little baby this morning. Fingers crossed.

91F6DD89-50A6-4F05-B6E6-B415F510CE89.jpeg

It is definitely helpful... And since I don't know which one it is (or both), here's what I'm doing...

I took a sharp knife and cut out all the diseased tissue. Now only healthy tissue is exposed (I think). I slathered the healthy tissue really well with neem oil. I'm going to let it dry... Then treat the area with copper sulfate (Bordeaux mix). Let it stay there overnight... Then tomorrow I will use a latex paint to cover the wound and hopefully seal the area. Then watch it closely to see if it reappears.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I think the Bordeaux mix is a good idea, but I wouldn't be to quick to use a latex paint. Think about if you had a deep cut on your skin, you'd want it to breathe, right? Rubber solution would seal it! That includes sealing any bad stuff in!
I've found this which might help.
Good luck, whichever way you choose to go!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom