What did you do in the garden today?

I drove out to friends place and picked up a couple of 18 month/2year old Icelandic Rooster. One only has one eye, but he's wonderful
I'll get pictures of Odin and Thor tomorrow. They're currently in a nice enclosure in the shop for a couple of days. Then I'll toss them in the coop and let them go girls gone wild. They need to figure out that's home and learn how far to wander.
I'll be getting a 1 yo roo soon. I was planning to section off part of the coop and run for a "look, don't touch," period, say, 3-5 days? Or can I just put him in the coop the evening I get him and see how it goes? I've heard adding a roo to a hen flock is the easiest integration to do, but I want to do it right and not take chances.
Lots of male flowers on squash; still no fruiting but others in my region are having similar issues.
I'm having that issue with my butternuts. I think I've had 5? 6? female flowers. I'm thinking it's due to the heat, but I'm not sure.

Awwww, lol. No, you didn't miss anything. I wish it was something more glamorous but it's not. I have chronic tendonitis in my Achilles and my elbow. Nothing has been able to help so the next step is to try PRP injections. It was super painful... I screamed into a pillow for both of them but the Achilles was the worst. I couldn't walk afterwards so they had to wheel me out to the car in a wheelchair. I'm on crutches now until the swelling goes down a bit.
OMGeeze...we could be twinkies...between the geographic areas we live in and weather issues and health problems!
I have same with my elbow and now Achilles as well! My rheumatologist sent me to make sure it wasn't "mechanical" and they said that dang tendinitis word...again.
Very frustrating!
I sure hope you get relief soon!

Funny, I saw some at the stand & thought about trying some with habeneros mixed in! :gig
It’s actually annoying that I simply don’t like habaneros. I don’t care if something is XXXXX hot (though I like to taste the food underneath the sauce, not just feel heat), the taste of habaneros ruins the meal. :( I am telling you this because I’d love to know just why I don’t like that one pepper.

It’s actually annoying that I simply don’t like habaneros. I don’t care if something is XXXXX hot (though I like to taste the food underneath the sauce, not just feel heat), the taste of habaneros ruins the meal. :( I am telling you this because I’d love to know just why I don’t like that one pepper.
I don't care for the flavor of habaneros either! It is a different species than most peppers. Manzano is the way to go for super hot.

Good afternoon gardeners. I picked and cleaned another pound of kale this morning, some more okra and a few tomatoes. I had to run to the RMV today to renew my drivers license and upgrade to a Real ID. The temperature hit 90F briefly today but it’s a dry heat. There was barely any dew on the grass this morning. Our area was just upgraded from a severe drought to an extreme drought yesterday. Fortunately I won’t see this water bill until October. The summer squash plants and cucumbers are looking good so hopefully I can get something from them. The peas are growing well so fingers crossed they’ll do better than the green beans. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Funny, I'm not a fan of them either, but they're too hot for me anyway. But I LOVE the flavor of cayenne peppers!

Speaking of, picked my first trinidad scorpion today & my first figs (the bees already ate 2 so I had to pick a little early). The figs are small this year, but plenty. Also got a bunch of habeneros & a few jalapenos.
IMG_20220819_154717430.jpg

Don't mind the unfinished backsplash, the tile came in today. Almost done! :yesss:

https://pomonapectin.com/strawberry-jalapeno-jam/
This is the one I used, I used all jalapenos, no sweet peppers. I doubled the recipe & used half the sugar (but I used allulose, not sugar) - I like to taste the jam, not the sweet so much. I find most jam way too sweet which is why I love Pomona pectin.

Interesting, keep an eye out there! I have a raccoon trying to get in my coop. He hasn't been successful yet, but he keeps trying. I'm going to get some secondary latches tomorrow, I don't want to catch & dispatch if I don't have to.

@BullChick - I love cowboy candy. I stopped at the farm stand today & asked when they thought the jalapenos would be coming in. I plan to make some for us. DH loves the leftover juice, I can it & he puts it on everything! It's great as a chicken marinade.
Thanks!

Only thing that doesn’t harm any other animals is to pick them off by hand, what about the chickens, don’t they eat all the caterpillars?
The chickens DO eat the caterpillars when they see them but these plants are 10 to 15 feet high in some places, so they can't get to them. I do try to pick them off by hand and feed the girls when I do see them unfortunately by time I DO see them, severe damage has already been done... thats how I know they are there :(

Aaron

Besides the heat, each pepper really does have it's OWN unique flavor to it.
Everyone here goes stupid over those Datil Peppers. Me personally, I don't like it, it taste chemically to me. Other peppers have a flavor that only THEY have, if you find a pepper that you don't like, it's perfectly natural.

When it comes to the heat now....Nobody likes a food that you can't taste it because you are on fire for half an hour.... then again 8 hours later :x If I am wiping snot and tear and can't taste food anymore because my mouth is on fire, I am not eating that crap, you an a hole for trying to feed me that crap, etc etc.

It would be perfectly normal not to like one type of pepper over another, thats just as natural as saying I like plums but not pears, I like apples but not oranges etc etc.

Think of beer, do you like EVERY beer that is brewed? No, some are just nasty...same thing with peppers.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom