What did you do in the garden today?

Here's Thor (back) and Odin (front) DH snapped a picture when they were sleeping last night. No, they didn't use the little perch. LOL.
Handsome boys! Now lets hope they know how to treat the ladies. :cool:
LOVE the addition of salt & pepper to the strawberry rhubarb jam! I'm going to try that next time I make some.
Yeah, that's an interesting recipe, gonna try that one myself.
LEFTOVER SYRUP

If you have any leftover syrup, save it. Use it to make yourself a cocktail or a spicy mocktail. It’s quite delicious! Pour it over cupcakes. Get creative!

Nice and spicy and sweet.
Recipe for the cocktails please? I always end up with a lot of extra syrup.
Ah this just reminded me it's almost apple butter season.... best time of the year! The local orchard does apple cider slushies... and we tend to buy enough apple cider to float home🤣
That sounds so good! I made a pretty pale pink crabapple jelly last year, but I don't have as many crabapples so we'll see how much I have this fall.
This is the one I used, I used all jalapenos, no sweet peppers. I doubled the recipe & used half the sugar (but I used allulose, not sugar) - I like to taste the jam, not the sweet so much. I find most jam way too sweet which is why I love Pomona pectin.
Got to try that jam. Is good with meats?
I couldn’t work without internet so ran errands and had a look around the neighborhood. We had to go out of our way a bit to go to a couple of places within a mile of home; a couple of major intersections around us are closed due to downed power lines. A metal light pole was snapped off and leaning against a tree. You read that right, metal. There’s stuff blown all over the neighborhood since people put their trash out last night. It’s a mess out there.
Wow, it almost sounds like you had a hurricane.

No rain today but a very light mist most of the day instead. Making pork riblets tomorrow for a hors d'oeuvres party tomorrow afternoon. They're in the fridge now oiled and dry rubbed. Wish I'd bought twice as many, I want to try using the cowboy candy syrup as a basting sauce.

morning coffee.gif
Good morning everyone! I got up early so I could get motivated and work in the garden first thing...looks like I'm just going to have twice as long to nurse this coffee today. 😆 I hope everyone has a fantastic day!

It’s actually annoying that I simply don’t like habaneros. I don’t care if something is XXXXX hot (though I like to taste the food underneath the sauce, not just feel heat), the taste of habaneros ruins the meal. :( I am telling you this because I’d love to know just why I don’t like that one pepper.

thanks for the information. I too like to taste food, not just feel heat. I have never tasted habaneros and I am going to stick to the familiar hot peppers. I have a greek variety one originated from crete. they grow tall and have a lot of long peppers. they look like this (pic from internet):
ierapetrs.jpeg

See I would think it was something big that got the fake egg too. But... There are no holes in the chicken wire anywhere, and nothing has burrowed in. Only really small birds would be able to get in. That leaves me with my own girls tore the dang egg apart. :barnie

that was my first thought. I think your chickens and my chickens must be cousins!

I drove by a couple big farms today & all I saw was fields of wiled plants, I'm not sure why, but maybe their wells can't handle watering. We are 11 inches short on rain now. Towns are implementing water bans & I've seen a bunch of trees losing their leaves from lack of water. We are on a shared well with 30 others & they were drilling a new well today - that can't be a good sign, water wise or wallet wise! We really need some rain. I hate to say it, but a couple tropical storms are the only thing that would help at this point. It's bad here.
Irrigation on farms isn't mean to be used 24/7 all season. It's meant to be supplemental source of water when times get rough. Wells go low and dry quickly when they are used to often. Motors burns out faster. Some farms don't have them at all.
Here, even using the pivots and ground irrigation cannot keep up with the rate of evaporation at a rate that does enough for the plants during their critical developmental and maturing stages. So all running the water from the ground does is burn $$ and keep the crop of life support.

Thanks... I'm resigned to being pretty miserable today. I took a long nap earlier which helped. Been binge watching television from my bedroom the rest of the day. Bored to tears and would rather be outside but movement is excruciating right now. Hoping I can stand on it tomorrow because I need to spray that fresh wound on peach tree with copper sulfate. Then there's the chickens... No one cares for them quite like I do. I'm a bad patient... I hate being cooped up. (Catch the pun?) If these injections don't work, the next step is stem cell therapy.
Been in chronic pain for years wrecked spine. No narcotics are NOT magical pills that make it go away either if only it WAS that easy. I don't want to say I feel your pain,as that PUNchline is a bit too blatant but know how you feel.

It just sucks the life out of you and some days you don't even want to get out of bed. I would also believe that being in constant pain like that makes one a prime candidate for depression too, which makes the f-it im staying in bed urge all the more, neigh of which is healthy.

Hang in there, there are good days, bad days and think of it this way. When I get days that are that bad, the girls are my driving force. (well the bad boy too), I say, if I don't get out of bed, nobody will feed them properly, THEY look up to me and it gives me that little extra courage to push the pain and get up.

Hopefully your treatment works for you, I sincerely do.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom