What did you do in the garden today?

Well my goal to make my own essential oils has hit a temporary setback. I had purchased a home distiller off of Amazon. It would allow me to distill water, alcohol, and make essential oils. I was excited to open the box only to find that the manufacturer had the only instructions provided written in Chinese... 😒 Not even any pictures to show how to put it together... So it got promptly returned.

I've lived all over the US. I find it humorous that people in a region tend to minimize the extreme weather/events they are used to but view extreme weather/events in other regions as so terrifying that they don't understand why people live there.

For example...

People in the South think people who live in the North are bat$h*t crazy to put up with blizzards and subzero temperatures.

People in the North are terrified by tornados and hurricanes. The very weekend I moved to Arkansas we had freak storms that dumped over 5" of rain in less than an hour (triggering massive flash flooding) and there were something like 4 or 5 tornados that night. We had gone into town to get diapers and couldn't get home because the roads were washed out. I remember driving down the interstate to Little Rock to get a hotel room and there were visible tornados on both sides of the interstate. It was quite terrifying. Now I'm like... "meh... Tornados" and it hardly ever interrupts my routine.

I was at the World Series with my grandpa when the California earthquake hit in 1989. That was pretty terrifying too but most people in California pretty much roll with the punches. I have a lot of family out there. None of them are ever concerned about earthquakes but think I'm nuts to live in tornado alley. My response is "at least I can SEE a tornado coming before it gets here! You have no warning...."
I lived in Kentucky for a while when I was really little. I don't remember much but I do remember going in the basement because of a tornado warning and loving ever minute of it. It felt like such an adventure.
Yep...I was a silly kid...lol.

I've lived all over the US. I find it humorous that people in a region tend to minimize the extreme weather/events they are used to but view extreme weather/events in other regions as so terrifying that they don't understand why people live there.

For example...

People in the South think people who live in the North are bat$h*t crazy to put up with blizzards and subzero temperatures.

People in the North are terrified by tornados and hurricanes. The very weekend I moved to Arkansas we had freak storms that dumped over 5" of rain in less than an hour (triggering massive flash flooding) and there were something like 4 or 5 tornados that night. We had gone into town to get diapers and couldn't get home because the roads were washed out. I remember driving down the interstate to Little Rock to get a hotel room and there were visible tornados on both sides of the interstate. It was quite terrifying. Now I'm like... "meh... Tornados" and it hardly ever interrupts my routine.

I was at the World Series with my grandpa when the California earthquake hit in 1989. That was pretty terrifying too but most people in California pretty much roll with the punches. I have a lot of family out there. None of them are ever concerned about earthquakes but think I'm nuts to live in tornado alley. My response is "at least I can SEE a tornado coming before it gets here! You have no warning...."

I was born and raised in an earthquake town. I totally ignore it.

btw, I got my next year's seeds. millet, amaranth and quinoa are new to me. :fl

We get blizzards up here which can be cold an annoying, but if you are prepared aren’t going to destroy your house. As much as I hate snow, I’m not afraid of it! I think I’d take snow over tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes. Would probably move to zone 6 though if I could instead of 5, would make it just a smidgen longer for my garden!
Exactly, very much not afraid of snow because there is nothing like a good blizzard! :celebrate All set with the rest of the natural disasters though! Hope all the FL people are doing ok. I have a friend with a condo on Sanibel Island. Not looking good there.

So we canned 38 quarts of pickles yesterday - the stupid Ball Sure Tight lids suck. The first 2 batches of 7 jars - 2 jars each batch didn't seal. So I got annoyed & put them in hot water (like you used to have to do but aren't supposed to with the new ones) & they all sealed after that. :he @WthrLady - was it the sure tight lids you had issues with recently? These weren't my lids, but I will avoid buying them from now on.

Just waiting for a frost here & slowly dismantling the garden. Most of the soaker hoses are away. Still getting squash & peppers. I think I'll pull the rest of the tomatoes tonight, the big ones are pink & the small ones will not grow anymore so it's time to call it. Going to wait as long as possible to pick the spaghetti squash, most are not completely ripe yet. But I know they will ripen off the vine so not a big deal.

Exactly, very much not afraid of snow because there is nothing like a good blizzard! :celebrate All set with the rest of the natural disasters though! Hope all the FL people are doing ok. I have a friend with a condo on Sanibel Island. Not looking good there.

So we canned 38 quarts of pickles yesterday - the stupid Ball Sure Tight lids suck. The first 2 batches of 7 jars - 2 jars each batch didn't seal. So I got annoyed & put them in hot water (like you used to have to do but aren't supposed to with the new ones) & they all sealed after that. :he @WthrLady - was it the sure tight lids you had issues with recently? These weren't my lids, but I will avoid buying them from now on.

Just waiting for a frost here & slowly dismantling the garden. Most of the soaker hoses are away. Still getting squash & peppers. I think I'll pull the rest of the tomatoes tonight, the big ones are pink & the small ones will not grow anymore so it's time to call it. Going to wait as long as possible to pick the spaghetti squash, most are not completely ripe yet. But I know they will ripen off the vine so not a big deal.
The green box Ball lids. Ball owns all the big 3 companies. There is only one independent tin lid maker in the US and two reusable PV plastic lid companies in the US.
The ball lids are the ones I had such a huge problem with - those lids were bought last winter and early this spring. I used mine in the pressure canner, so while the canner is coming up to heat and venting for 10 minutes the lids are being preheated then.
I had less problems with the 'lower qaulity'kerr lids, and even LESS problems with their 'lowest line' of golden harvest. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom