What did you do in the garden today?

Nice today and again tomorrow, but winds will howl to 50. So I feel badly that I'm not putting out the hens, but at the same time, they'll just blow away like little feathery balls or hide, so....

Stocked up on a month's worth of livestock feed incase the trains stop. I have a hard enough time getting alpaca feed out here, and hiccup and I'm out.

Will probably do the same for people food next week, but I usually stock up the first week of December for winter anyway. Same old, same old.

I'm going to start working our how to mount the nice thermostatic fan from the old hoophouse into the old greenhouse and use it there.

No idea about next years garden yet.

I feel like it's too much work for what I need to be producing. Although, who knows. I might just stick with the normal rotation, and for that, I have the old standby seeds already here. That's not to say I won't snap and get some weird thing to try, but I will be reining it in from years past.

Ordered sweet potatoes. Last year we bought slips from Sandhill Preservation, and we did the same this year. I mailed in my order for 6 varieties, two white and four orange varieties. I may order one end-of-season selection, which is random, but within a category such as “northern gardens” or similar.

We are 6A. We definitely got the best sweet potato results from using black plastic to pre-heat the soil and for the duration of the growing season. We also got the best production from early types. There were a couple mid-season ones that produced, but were clearly needing more time for more of the tuberous roots to increase in size.

Interestingly, although some of the vines did root elsewhere, along their path, none of those spots attempted to produce any sweet potatoes. But, we did lift the vines where we could to prevent the plant from expending energy somewhere else along the vine. Our season isn’t long enough and the sweet potatoes are not going to survive here through the winter.

OMG just got an estimate for the replacement door over 6 grand! WTF?! It's a door, not a car!
Yeah welcome to new sh1t prices. Doors / storm doors run 3 to 4 grand each for not even the top of the line. Even windows are like 1500 each. It's disgusting BUT... wait a week see if they will call back and come down a bit on the price, unless it's an emergency and you NEED the door. Also, it might take a few months before you actually see it. (just went through this process, and yah the how the #%#k does a 34%# door cost that much process myself)

The good thing is, MAKE SURE TO TELL YOUR INSURANCE. New doors and stuff, offer better protection from the elements, harder to break in etc, you might be able to shave a few dollars off your annual premium with them. It's worth a try at least.

Aaron

Edit: I had one of those electronic peepholes put into mine, its like a ring camera but does not need internet it has a screen right on the back of the door, the bell rings, you press a button and see who it is and whether you need to grab the shotgun or not when you answer the door :D

Edit Edit: The door peepie thingie I talked the ins company into treating like a burglar alarm or anti theft / intrusion device so they gave me 90 dollars off my annual for it. Again, you'd be surprised what can help and where. Too bad I can't convince them that putting a high voltage doormat is a theft deterrant :D :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom