What did you do in the garden today?

Good to know on the soaker hoses. I'll consider.

As for the strawberries, I have a terrible problem with blights. It's killed off hundreds of dollars worth of strawberries. I've replaced my strawberries 3 years in a row. I need a better system where I can ensure air movement around the plant, limited moisture, and yet still keep everything from dying of thirst in our high heat, high humidity location. I've done a lot of research on this idea. It will involve using a hole saw to create planting locations in a 55 gallon food grade drum. However, the REAL experiment is what I'm doing on the inside to make it self watering.
There’s a tape you can buy at any big box store with the emitters. It’s similar to a hose but better without those pressure issues and you can cover it with straw or whatever. Better drip than mist or spray which can evaporate.

Coffee Press / French Press.
Grind makes a big difference, if the coffee is a bit bitter, use a much coarser grind than you'd use for your normal drip,or better yet, get better coffee. Ideal temp is 185 to 205. I find that right around 190 ish is about the best results, too hot and you are starting to leech out some astringents you don't want. Too low and you don't get all the goodies out.

Typically use 1 gram of coffee per 1 oz of water.

Best part, the french press rinses nicely into a jug which goes outside right onto the berry bushes which absolutely LOVE it, so unlike traditional, you are not killing trees for stupid paper filters which filter out some of the oils and flavors of a good coffee!

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom