What did you do in the garden today?

Nearly completely caught up on outside winterizing chores. I’ve got the herb garden beds and asparagus bed covered with leaves. Blew out the gutter in the back of the house. I have an older version of gutter helmets and they work really well except the one on the east facing side. This has been stretched by old ice dams so it collects a little bit of debris. Also got the east facing bay window /greenhouse window cleaned on the outside. I have some ideas for next seasons garden plan but I don’t think I’ll be ready for seed ordering for a few more weeks. I do know where the tomato plants will be going so I need to put down some oyster shell while I can still walk into the big garden. Got all the Christmas holiday lights up (all solar except for the window lights - batteries). Still need to check the snowblower and get it prepped before the flakes fly. Almost there.

I caved!

Yup, ordered two types of potatoes. I said I would wait and buy them from the local farm store, but I ordered two less typical ones: Purple Viking (purple skin/bright white interior), and Yellow Finn (more yellow than Yukon Gold). I'll still buy another at the farm store - likely a red skin/waxy potato type.

Ordered more seeds, as well. Do I need them? No. But, Will I use them? Yes!

Found Wintergreen plants, and bought them for spring delivery. Hopefully from a reliable source as I've never used this source before.

A flyer came in the mail from Territorial seeds. They now offer the Marshall Strawberry for sale - iconic from the NW. I believe @pennyJo1960 mentioned them earlier this season, as she grows them in her yard. Anyway, there is a bit of a story on the Marshall Strawberry on Territorial website, if anyone is interested.

Finished tilling the little garden. So far I've made one hill where I planted delicata seeds that weren't tested for germination - there were only 4 left. Hopefully they sprout, I'll find out in about a week. Will get the rest planted in the next week, I may not have enough compost for the whole thing.
till.png

Back
Top Bottom