What did you do in the garden today?

Anyone ever used one of these? I've looked at reviews on multiple sites. It's getting a 4 out of 5 stars, generally. Reviews seem positive. Harbor Freight has them for $8.99. Seems like a good buy if they work.

View attachment 3344694
I had a couple of those and they don't work. If a gopher wants to eat a plant badly enough, it'll ignore anything annoying. I recommend macabee traps, the cheap green ones work well.

do NOT waste your money on any crap like that. it's all gimmicks.
I have mole problems and so far nothing seems to work. I had one solution until the police made me take it down. Ive blown them up before but propane and moles going in the neighbors yards too, that was a one time wonder there. I have called exterminators but they are all scams too. Id honestly love to find something that gets rid of them short of a block of C4

Aaron

Last edited:
ive tried bubblegum, the worm traps the bait traps the metal snap traps pretty much everything imaginable and nothing seems to work. the fact that my neighbor got a bunch and does nothing im sure does not help. I could put down poison but that could cause issues with the stuff I have so am afraid to do that with chickens.

I wish the $#% hawks would go after the damned rodents instead of the avians...sigh.

Aaron

Here's my experience with wood ash on my garden.

We burn a lot of wood, so we get buckets of ash over the winter. Almost all of it is from oak or maple; sassafras or elm occasionally, pine for kindling, so not often.

One year, I went out with a bucket and used a cottage cheese container as a scoop. I sprinkled it around until the bucket was almost empty, or so I thought. I tipped the bucket and dumped it over about 20' of area. Well, there was a lot more ash than I thought, and it ended up pretty thick.

I did this in the middle of winter and planted alfalfa in that area in the spring. You could see exactly where I had dumped too much ash. And where I emptied the bucket, the alfalfa barely grew.

I haven't put ash on the garden since then. I dump it out in the woods or the field. I thought with all the oak leaves I use that the soil would be very acidic. Nope. Not sure why, but it isn't.

When I mix my own potting soil, I use about 1 cottage cheese container worth of ash to add some minerals.

I never grew alfalfa but plan to do it. thank you for sharing this precious information. I did not have any issue with ash in my garden but I certainly don't have big amounts of ash as winters are mild here.

I do have a chicken tractor, but it takes 2 to 3 weeks for them to ...clearcut..an area and about week 2 it gets really nasty because the grass is not quite dug up yet but the turds are really starting to pile up on it. and when you move it, stuff almost immediately starts to grow there. however with that, you DO bring up a good cheat... throw some snacks down into the area you want dug up. or better yet, just point at it and say NO, STAY OUT... they'll have it tore up for you in no time.

aaron

I think you need more chickens :lau

ive tried bubblegum, the worm traps the bait traps the metal snap traps pretty much everything imaginable and nothing seems to work. the fact that my neighbor got a bunch and does nothing im sure does not help. I could put down poison but that could cause issues with the stuff I have so am afraid to do that with chickens.

I wish the $#% hawks would go after the damned rodents instead of the avians...sigh.

Aaron

my chickens ate some mice/rat poison and nothing happen. they also ate poisoned mice and rats. the vet says that sort poison is dangerous only for animals with fur. of course it is better if they do not eat it.

Hey all, finally home from the hospital, back surgery went well. Getting around pretty good with a walker for now. 2nd surgery is 12/23 & then I’m looking forward to healing & less pain. Maybe a garden this summer, maybe not. We shall see.

Brain is a bit mushy with the drugs so catching up will do no good, lol. Hope all is well with everyone. ❤️
Yay!! So happy things are going well Sueby! Heal fast and well!

do NOT waste your money on any crap like that. it's all gimmicks.
I have gopher problems and so far nothing seems to work. I had one solution until the police made me take it down. Ive blown them up before but propane and gophers going in the neighbors yards too, that was a one time wonder there. I have called exterminators but they are all scams too. Id honestly love to find something that gets rid of them short of a block of C4

Aaron
Gopher traps in the holes, cover and voilà in a few days you’ll have a very angry gopher on your hands.

Back
Top Bottom