What did you do in the garden today?

I was watching tomato videos on You Tube and came across a professional breeder growing his tomatoes in straw bales. He laid the straw bales out on the cement on the side of his drive way and he put fertilizer on it, watered it in and planted his tomatoes in the straw and they grew with out soil. However, he watered the straw daily for a couple of weeks before planting, so the straw look like it was starting to break down.

A bale of straw cost $20 where I live, its about the same price as potting soil for that volume. However, one heirloom tomato in my local Safeway cost $8 a lbs., so it might be worth a try.

No fabric bags, no pots, no potting soil mixing labor, but the straw bale is heavy and only one bale can fit in my jeep, so its a no go...................

Last edited:
I was watching tomato videos on You Tube and came across a professional breeder growing his tomatoes in straw bales. He laid the straw bales out on the cement on the side of his drive way and he put fertilizer on it, watered it in and planted his tomatoes in the straw and they grew with out soil. However, he watered the straw daily for a couple of weeks before planting, so the straw look like it was starting to break down.

A bale of straw cost $20 where I live, its about the same price as potting soil for that volume. However, one heirloom tomato in my local Safeway cost $8 a lbs., so it might be worth a try.

No fabric bags, no pots, no potting soil mixing labor, but the straw bale is heavy and only one bale can fit in my jeep, so its a no go...................
It’s so crazy how much has changed within these past few years…Prices for almost everything have skyrocketed everywhere worldwide.

It will be interesting to see how TSC responds. This concern (and subsequent conspiracy theory claims) have now gone viral on several other sites. Mike Adams (Health Ranger Report) is having the feed tested at his accredited lab to see what the ingredient analysis comes up with and if that matches what they are advertising. Should be interesting....
I'm pretty sure there is a locked thread on this subject because of the viral unproven nature of some of the conversations. I quit listening to any of it since it's winter. Many birds don't lay when days are short, or they molt, or they get older, or they hide eggs (I just found 28 eggs a few days ago 'hidden' from me). IDK one way or the other about the specific feed. If test come back with something to worry about then I might worry about it.

I'm pretty sure there is a locked thread on this subject because of the viral unproven nature of some of the conversations. I quit listening to any of it since it's winter. Many birds don't lay when days are short, or they molt, or they get older, or they hide eggs (I just found 28 eggs a few days ago 'hidden' from me). IDK one way or the other about the specific feed. If test come back with something to worry about then I might worry about it.
I don't use TSC brand feeds so I really don't have a dog in this hunt. I also don't use supplemental lighting. Never have. I have almost 60 hens of various breeds. I'm getting about 18 - 24 eggs per day which, I feel, is normal. However I have had occasional odd drops in egg laying over the past month where I'll only get 8 to 10 eggs. Weird, but these levels have not continued beyond a day or two so I simply chalk it up to an anomaly. My hens are fed a variety of different things every day, not just layer pellets alone.

fp.gif
Good hot coffee, dogs are out in the 5am darkness, I got the coop open .
I felt good being out in the garden yesterday, working with the soil, the comfrey is sprouting. I am trying to map out where I will plant the squash. I may put carboard down at the east end where the grass meets the bed
/ where I had the green bean trellis/ 👇 when the squash starts growing vines.
image_16899585.JPG

When I hear “rumors” about any commercial products I go to the sources. The most recent “recall” on animal feed from the FDA was on a few lots of Dumor layer feed being labeled as starter grower crumbles. There were other recalls on rabbit food. Mistakes happen and I’ve noticed in the past that some people are quick to blaming the big industries for anything and everything that goes wrong in their little world. Basing my opinions from what I hear on social media is not something I practice. JMHO!

Where do you get this? I used to be able to get it in my usual grocery store, but not for a few years. LOVE that in coffee!
the last time I bought it, it was from Azure Standard. I think you can order it off amazon.
but get blackstrap,,, some are labeled just molasses , I found this for you,

https://www.dhampurgreen.com/blogs/...ence-between-molasses-and-blackstrap-molasses
Screenshot 2023-01-27 054544.gif

Back
Top Bottom