What did you do in the garden today?

Thanks for the info/links about blackstrap molasses. I used to get it for about $4 a 16 oz jar. Yeah, and eggs were <$2 dozen... Them's the days, alrighty!
BTW: Thank you for the pictures of your garden space and green grass @Grandmas Coop. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen green grass.
Same here! Just a teensy bit jealous... :) We're in for a colder stretch now. But the sun is shining, so I'll take it!

It went clear overnight, thus the cold. And now clouds are moving back in. I need to explain to Mother Nature that we need clouds at night, and sunshine during the day.

We are heading into a bit of a deep freeze at the end of next week so hoping to have more melting between now and then. The original fence wire I ordered was damaged in shipping so I ordered some from HD. Will be picking that up later this morning. I don't go there very often so I get a chance to see how much of the garden seed rows they have ready. This wire I'm getting from them is on sale because as most retailers they are trying to get rid of old stock before the end of the month. It's only 14 gauge, 2 by 4 inch dog wire but it will work fine as a perimeter fence. I plan on using the less expensive plastic garden mesh around the additional garden beds I'm putting in this Spring.

Usually it's in the syrup row with the pancake syrups and mixes. I've never NOT seen it somewhere.
Yup, that's where I used to find it. Lots of regular molasses there, but not the blackstrap. :hit

I'll look again when I go this weekend. Maybe it's back. I haven't looked for a long time.

Where do you get this? I used to be able to get it in my usual grocery store, but not for a few years. LOVE that in coffee!
I recently saw some blackstrap molasses at the meat market/ small grocery store where I sometimes I’ll buy a few things. But, otherwise, it doesn’t appear to be readily available anywhere else that I’ve noticed.

When I hear “rumors” about any commercial products I go to the sources. The most recent “recall” on animal feed from the FDA was on a few lots of Dumor layer feed being labeled as starter grower crumbles. There were other recalls on rabbit food. Mistakes happen and I’ve noticed in the past that some people are quick to blaming the big industries for anything and everything that goes wrong in their little world. Basing my opinions from what I hear on social media is not something I practice. JMHO!
Fair enough... But I've also worked within many of the federal government agencies so I say this from personal experience and knowledge. Many, I repeat, many agencies are compromised as far as objective or even honest data. In fact, FDA has a large testing facility about an hour from my house and I personally know numerous people (all scientists) who work there. Most would tell you that the industry is very incestuous....meaning that people constantly go back and forth between employment wise from FDA and the very companies they "approve" products for. Especially around the FDA there is a LOT of corruption. It should NOT be this way but we haven't had a functioning watchdog against corruption for decades. So just because FDA or any other government agency does not "codify" any particular claim does not always mean there is no substance to the claim.

BTW, I resigned from my government work last year because I couldn't tolerate the corruption any longer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom